T-5 TRANSMISSION Wiring - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (54)
T-5 TRANSMISSION Wiring

I have a 91 GT that someone replaced the T5 with a T5z recently. It has three electrical connections. One is the VSS, the other comes out of the side of the tranny tunnel (4 wires). Two of mine are cut and twisted together. The other two end in a plug that plugs into the side of the tranny (neutral switch I do believe). There is a plug coming from the top of the tranny that is unhooked. I believe it's the reverse lights, as I have none. Question is, where does this plug on the top of the tranny go, to the two wires that are twisted together, or somewhere in the kick panel or elsewhere?

Thanks
Brandon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The plug on the side of the tranny is actually your reverse lights. The plug up top is the neutral switch.

The two that are cut used to be the neutral safety switch for an automatic and are now part of the clutch interlock. If you break the connection that's twisted together, the car won't crank.

Are you sure your '91 wasn't an automatic originally?

Check to see if the reverse light switch in the side of the tranny is bad. With the car up so you can get under it, but the gearshift in reverse. Crawl back under, disconnect the wires going to the switch and check continuity across the pins with a voltmeter set to ohms. It should read near zero. If it still reads open, the switch may be bad. If it tests good, check the wires that you just took off the switch. One of them should have 12V on it. If not, that's where you need to turn your attention.

'91 2.3 LX
T5 swap
Ranger header
5-lug conversion.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (54)
Thanks Chandler.. I had wondered the same thing myself, why had a T5z been put in here.. Then the wiring made me wonder even more. It also would crank without pressing the clutch at one time, and I removed a wiring loop on a plug up by the clutch and plugged it and to solve that.. I also have the carfax, but it doesn't list whether it's a manual or not originally.. I'd guess it was an automatic..

The harness on the side of the tranny ends at the tranny at two prongs correct? I will pin it out and see (when I get the motor back in next week.). Should I get another harness and fix the one that is twisted together, I don't want anything jerry-rigged on it honestly.

Thanks again,
Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 08:33 PM

That twisted connection is part of the same circuit the loop/plug deal is on. Scratched my head awhile on that one when I did mine.

Yes, the reverse light part of the harness ends at two prongs (If there's not a plug there, all the more reason to suspect an AOD once resided there) The two prong deal (usually bullet style connectors) will work fine and isn't anything I'd call a jerry rig.

As for the other two wires in that harness. For peace of mind I'd clean up the connection. maybe some solder and some heat shrink tubing to make a solid, durable connection. I soldered mine into a butt connector(stripped off the red plastic sheath)and covered it with heat shrink, then tucked it back into the split loom and zip tied the loom near the end where the two wires come out for the reverse lights. I think that's the difference between a modification and a jerry rig.

'91 2.3 LX
T5 swap
Ranger header
5-lug conversion.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 10:08 PM
k_h

can you tell me the colors of the wires? I'm having a hard time finding a t5 harness.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 10:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhleonard
The harness on the side of the tranny ends at the tranny at two prongs correct? I will pin it out and see (when I get the motor back in next week.). Should I get another harness and fix the one that is twisted together, I don't want anything jerry-rigged on it honestly.

If you wanted to, you could splice onto the wires and run them to somewhere discreet and install a toggle switch. If you open the switch, the car won't start! Nice lilttle anti-theft setup.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #7 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 11:09 PM

Here's your wiring info according to my '91.

Red + White - clutch/neutral safety

Purple/org stripe + Black w/ purple stripe = reverse lights.

This is how mine is wired and works perfectly.

'91 2.3 LX
T5 swap
Ranger header
5-lug conversion.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
If you wanted to, you could splice onto the wires and run them to somewhere discreet and install a toggle switch. If you open the switch, the car won't start! Nice lilttle anti-theft setup.

Slick idea. It would be easier to grab the circuit where it meets the switch on the clutch pedal though. Maybe a momentary switch so you couldn't forget to turn it off and render the idea useless. You'd have to put the switch somewhere where your left hand could reach it while you start the car with your right. Kinda like starting a big rig

'91 2.3 LX
T5 swap
Ranger header
5-lug conversion.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 11:47 PM
k_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Chandler

Thanks. I just put in the shorty harness for my reverse lights. now i just need to fix the neutral safety switch.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 03:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
On the last car I did an AOD - T-5 swap, I noticed that the idle was wierd when I stepped on the clutch (didn't want to settle down) until I disconnected the clutch safety harness.

To get it to act right, I had to leave it disconnected.

'06 BMW Z4M Roadster.
'93 Cobra. '95 Cobra. '88 ASC McLaren.
'07 Kawasaki Z1000.
Formerly of- Saleen, Brothers Performance, BBK, & AGENT 47.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 11:46 AM
k_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN ROGERS
On the last car I did an AOD - T-5 swap, I noticed that the idle was wierd when I stepped on the clutch (didn't want to settle down) until I disconnected the clutch safety harness.

To get it to act right, I had to leave it disconnected.
I see... I'll leave it disconnected then since it's running right..
post #12 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 01:22 PM

Bryan, mine does the same thing. The idle changes everytime I press and release the clutch when I'm stopped and idling. It'll stabilize, but there's that brief jump everytime the pedal is depressed. Maybe it's something with the AT computer thinking you're switching from neutral to a gear everytime you press the clutch.

'91 2.3 LX
T5 swap
Ranger header
5-lug conversion.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 01:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Try unplugging that jumper at the clutch pedal.

I really wanted the car to have a clutch safety switch (it's a customers car) but I just couldn't deliver it to him with the idle acting all funky.

'06 BMW Z4M Roadster.
'93 Cobra. '95 Cobra. '88 ASC McLaren.
'07 Kawasaki Z1000.
Formerly of- Saleen, Brothers Performance, BBK, & AGENT 47.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 05:27 PM

It doesn't bother me that much since it only happens when I'm pushing the clutch in before a light turns green or something. Once I drop the turbo motor in it'll most likely go away since the ECU I have for the swap was for a 5spd Turbo Coupe.

Not to hijack this thread, but how much do you know about the VSS and it's relationship to the ECU? I've got a problem that I think is VSS related, but I can't confirm this. If you think you can help, I'll shoot you a PM or start another thread.

'91 2.3 LX
T5 swap
Ranger header
5-lug conversion.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 05:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
When using the A9P (auto computer), the idle will raise a few RPM's when shifting out of park or neutral. On the A9L (manual computer) it senses the transmission being in neutral. This is the pin # 30 on the computer, and gets power when turning the engine over, and completes a circuit when in park or neutral. Below is the wiring diagram for manual and auto.

C.heap
A.lternative
M.ustang
A.lways
R.uns
O.dd
post #16 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 05:54 PM

You just confirmed what I've been thinking.

So is there a way to isolate the ECU side of the circuit from the starter interlock? In effect fooling the ECU so that it maintains an "in-gear" or "in neutral" idle condition, yet keep the safety feature of the clutch interlock.

Thanks for the diagram. It's a big help.

'91 2.3 LX
T5 swap
Ranger header
5-lug conversion.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 07:13 PM

Connecting pin 30 to get + only when turning the key would work. You could wire it up to the small wire on the solinoid (blue with red stripe, I think) and this would give the computer the info it needs when trying to turn the engine over, or try leaving pin 30 unconnected and see if it has any starting issues.

C.heap
A.lternative
M.ustang
A.lways
R.uns
O.dd
post #18 of 20 Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Chandler View Post

thanks
post #19 of 20 Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 PM

OK - I switched from AOD to T5 and installed the T5 harness from the driver kick panel to the tunnel. I have three connections in that harness.
speed sensor -- speedometer
reverse -- two prong on the side
neutral safety? -- I don't see a connector on the T5. Am I blind? Is it on the top? Anybody got a pic of the connections?

'88 5.0 LX - AOD to T5 swap - 3.55, alum d/s
TFS1 cam, 1.7RR, GT40's, ported cobra U/L, 24#,
70mm, BBK L/T, flows, x-pipe, nitrous,
5-lug conversion, 17x9 bullets - ALL being assembled.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-18-2007, 11:14 PM

ttt - the t5 is installed and i don't see another connector but there feels like a hole on the driver side way up high, but I can't see it.

'88 5.0 LX - AOD to T5 swap - 3.55, alum d/s
TFS1 cam, 1.7RR, GT40's, ported cobra U/L, 24#,
70mm, BBK L/T, flows, x-pipe, nitrous,
5-lug conversion, 17x9 bullets - ALL being assembled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement