Battery in trunk Question. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-02-2002, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Battery in trunk Question.

For those of you who moved the batter to the trunk, what did yal do with the old ground to the battery. For the time being I left it more or less hanging there and now I"m getting some serious ALT noise.

Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-02-2002, 12:18 PM

Run a dedicated heavy gauge wire from the battery negative post to the original ground location (engine block). Sounds like you have some sort of ground loop thing going on. That is sure to wreak havoc with the computer and thus, performance.

Chris
90 LX
87 GN

post #3 of 9 Old 04-02-2002, 12:41 PM

I just started my car for the first time this spring the other day. I had done the trunk battery trick over the winter. here's what I did:
under the hood I completely removed the factory hot and ground battery cables
- ran a 4 ga wire up to the power distribution block from the starter lug
- ran a 4ga wire from the passenger engine mount to the chassis (there's a smaller factory one on the other side)
- ran a 1 ga. hot cable our of the trunk to a kill switch under the bumper and up the car to the starter
- removed the factory alternator charge cable, wrapped it and ran it 'down to a 4 ga wire all the way back to the battery side of the kill switch
- the alternator 'regulator' wires were wrapped in loom and stayed in the same place
- ran a 1ga ground wire from the battery to the chassis in back
All in all, a big job but no radio noise and only .275V drop on the ground side when cranking. I ran my battery cables and box vent through the vent thing in the right rear corner of the trunk. It was hard enough to drill two holes in the trunk, I couldn't do five!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
You guys have any NOTICABLE diff in weight transfer??

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
post #5 of 9 Old 04-03-2002, 11:15 AM

For me, no. But then I hadn't driven my car in almost five months. I could have changed the springs and wouldn't notice the difference! It's hard to do a before and after when you can't remember the 'before' feel.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2002, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I really didn't notice a difference after the move either. The only thing I really noticed was the nice size void in the engine bay

I still have to rewire the battery to eliminate the "Alt Noise" but I can say that with the MSD disconnected the noise is gone. I think the mistake I made was I ran the HOT wire straight to the power distribution box instead of to the starter. So I"m gunna fix that and work on consolidating the grounds.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2002, 09:04 PM

I ran 1 awg (o gauge I think) positive wire inside electrical conduit underneath car and back up inside under back seat then on to trunk. The negative wires up front were all grounded at same point where battery used to be. The battery was grounded in back 12" away. I even had a 1000 watt amp and had no ignition noise or performance issues. I tied into fuse block for power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• 03 Cobra w/ 19" HRE Wheels- SOLD!
  • Current project- 60 Ford Starliner
post #8 of 9 Old 04-04-2002, 10:05 AM

I ran my positive wire through one of the rubber drain plugs in the trunk. Then ran it through the subframe and over the drivers flowmaster. It is very important to splice a section of heater hose onto the wire if it comes in close contact with the exhaust or else bad things will happen . then i just ran the wire up the runningboard to the connector on the fuse box. The negative wire i ran the same way, I just connected it to the pass seat belt bolt underneath. No problems here.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-04-2002, 10:27 AM

eades5.0,

You asked if there was a noticable difference in wieght transfer. I say yes indeed. Significantly less nose dive under any breaking condition.

Now, my springs don't allow for alot anyway(850-1050 progressive rate,) but it transitions alot better on an auto-x course. I don't have any corner weights, but any weight you can take off the front of your car is a good thing, whether it is for drag racing or auto-x.

Josh

1995 Rio Red Cobra
Homemade 5-Link and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement