1996 taillight conversion - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-30-2002, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
1996 taillight conversion

Is the 96 taillight conversion wiring harness necessary? What does it do?

T.J.
95 Cobra -
Engine: Crane Cam, Fireball Ignition, Edelbrock heads, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, Edelbrock 70MM t/b, Edelbrock Performer Intake w/ 3/8" spacer, Mac pulleys, Aeromotive FPR, 155 lph fuel pump
Exhaust: BBK Shorties, Bassani X w/o cats, Flowmaster Delta Flow Catback
Driveline: King Cobra Clutch, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, Pro 5.0, 3.55's
Suspension: Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda Rear Upper/Lower Control Arms, Steeda Bump Steer Kit,
Misc: Sony Audio

84 GT- Gone but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2002, 07:35 PM

It is if you want the most outer bulb to fit properly. I just put in the new taillights yesterday with out the harness. I just used black electrical tape and it worked and you will never be able to tell. I didn't want to pay $80 for a harness.

94 Cobra #2490

FOR SALE:

94-95 Cobra intake
NEW FMU
ASP pullies

PM me...
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2002, 10:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I agree w/94sssnake...the wiring harness in not really necessary at all for the 96-98 tail light swap. I just did my swap last weekend and it was cake, pretty much a direct bolt on, the only problem is the outer most bulb is too small for the whole in the tail lamp assembly. It will still sit on the whole though, it just won't rotate and snap in place, all you have to do though is put it on there and use some black electrical tape or some kinda adhesive/putty to hold it there. I used tape and since no one will see it I really wasn't bothered by doing it...it sure beats paying the $$$ for the wiring harness. Trust me, go ahead and do it, you'll see how the wiring harness is not really necessary. Good luck and let us know how it comes out man...later.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2002, 11:13 PM

Question

I really would like a set of 96 tailights. Just the plain red lens(stock) and painted to match my car(Laser Red). Where is the best price on some. I looked at some of the used ones and their on drugs, what they want for something used! Anyone on how much it was to paint to match also would be helpful. Thanks!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-31-2002, 02:10 AM

Check ebay. They are always on there. They usually go for $90-150 for the set. I actually bought one side at a time and saved money doing it that way. Then I used semi black paint for hte bezels a la Saleen.

94 Cobra #2490

FOR SALE:

94-95 Cobra intake
NEW FMU
ASP pullies

PM me...
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2002, 10:33 AM

You guys can go to autoparts store and find the matching socket for the last hole and splice that new plug into your stock line it's fairly simple and easy and it beats paying the price for a new harness I paid like $2 bucks a piece for the socket. I've done it, it was cheap, cheezy, and easy I hope this helps you guys out that way you wouldn't have to have a bulb taped in there or hanging in there.

95GTw/ 80Pro-M w/Anderson N/A Powerpipe, 24lb. inj., Walbro 255lph in tank, Tweecer R/T, Crane HI6, Mallory coil 70TB, GT40 upper & extrude honed lower, TFS TW, Crane1.6rr, Anderson B3 cam, Jet Hot Coated Mac long tubes w/egt bungs welded in, ProChamber off road pipe, Mac Catback, Tremec T56, Steeda Triaxw/ Pro 5.0 handle, UPR triple pick up quadrant and clutch adj. kit, PST C/Fds, fluidyne radiator, flowkooler water pump, WAZEE pulley, GP tubular K w/ coilover's MM caster camber plates and control arms, KB double cross subframes, Dbl adj. uppers and Pro3i lowers, eibach pro-kit, tokico 5way illumina's, 31spline moser axles w/4:10's in the rear. Enuff autometer gauges to be the posterboy for autometer!

IT TASTE SO GOOD WHEN IT HITS THE LIPS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement