dreaded fan connector meltdown - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-13-2002, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
dreaded fan connector meltdown

I have fallen victim to the melted fan connector. I replaced the fan about 4 months ago and had noticed the connector had melted a little, but the ground still tested only like .03 ohms resistance, so I figured no problem. Now the replacement fan has died, so I'm thinking there may have been an intermittant ground that fried the fan. I'm getting ready to test the ground again. So one way or another, I need to get a replacement connector. Any ideas where I could score one?

'95 GT
-DSS low comp. 306/GT-40Y/Cobra U/L
-DIY Single Turbo - Holset WH1E @ 7psi intercooled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-13-2002, 03:17 PM

Re: The dreaded fan connector meltdown....

Quote:
Originally posted by Powershift95GT
I have fallen victim to the melted fan connector. I replaced the fan about 4 months ago and had noticed the connector had melted a little, but the ground still tested only like .03 ohms resistance, so I figured no problem. Now the replacement fan has died, so I'm thinking there may have been an intermittant ground that fried the fan. I'm getting ready to test the ground again. So one way or another, I need to get a replacement connector. Any ideas where I could score one?
Dont quote me on this dude..but that should be a recall maybe not but of buddy of mine had it done a few weeks ago, and i see people on the boards posting about that a lot

93 Cobra
post #3 of 7 Old 03-13-2002, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

The recall shafted a bunch of us with 94's and early 95's. I haven't got a recall notice and according to Ford's website my VIN only shows for hoodliner and parking brake. Unless there hasn't been an update to the site and I just haven't recieved my notice yet, I don't think I'm going to be able to get it fixed for free, so I'm going to have to fix it myself. Thanks for the heads up though. Should've mentioned I didn't think I could get it fixed under recall.

Mike

'95 GT
-DSS low comp. 306/GT-40Y/Cobra U/L
-DIY Single Turbo - Holset WH1E @ 7psi intercooled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-13-2002, 08:54 PM

Been there done that.Really sucks especially in a hot climate.My last melt down melted the connector housing on the fan itself.I removed the fan and trimmed away the melted housing and just ran a nice 12# wire to each of the terminals and soldered them directly to the tabs on the fan.I bought a heavy duty trailer connector for a quick dissconnect and soldered it in and have had no problems for over a year and a half now.Everything is always cold to the touch so theres are no loose connections at all and I don't even give it a second thought ever.

Give it a try.

Robert May
post #5 of 7 Old 03-13-2002, 09:25 PM

there is a recall as far as i know because i got a letter from ford about that problem about 2 months ago. i could look around later and try to find the recall number for you, but i am not at home right now, so ill be able to do it tommorow. i have the brake recall letter and i have never fixed the brake and i need to itts just that the damn dealership takes forever to do your car.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-14-2002, 01:21 PM

I didn't receive a notification for this recall but I gave the dealer my VIN # and they told me that my car was covered by this recall. They did an inspection and added a circuit breaker module between the harness and the fan. No charge!!!! The recall is good until June 2002, so double check this ASAP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recall Alert: FORD MUSTANG, FORD TAURUS, MERCURY SABLE
Owner Notification Date: 12/21/2001
Number of Units Potentially Affected: 695,260
Component Description: ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM:FAN
NHTSA Campaign Number: 01V390000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description of Recall Campaign: Vehicle Description: Taurus/Sable vehicles equipped with 3.0L and 3.8L engines and Mustang vehicles with 3.8L and 5.0L engines. It is possible for the engine cooling fan bearing to seize.
Should this occur, excessive heat could be generated which could melt the fan motor electrical connector. Components inside the cooling fan motor could ignite potentially resulting in an underhood fire.

Dealers will inspect the engine cooling fan assembly and install a circuit breaker. If the cooling fan is inoperative, the fan and motor assembly will be replaced.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #7 of 7 Old 03-14-2002, 09:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
This is a sore subject for me. My car started on fire for this reason and all I know is that ALL 94 and some 95 owners are getting the SHAFT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement