Ford Mustang Forums banner

1992 Mustang GT Battery Replacement

1K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Oktavius 
#1 ·
The Battery in my 92 GT is over 7 years old now, so next spring I would like to install a new battery, I looked at Optimas but seems like people all over have trouble getting them to stay in place or have the cables reach. Any ideas for a good replacement?

#8 ·
Value: Wally-World MAXX (yellow) - $59.86 - 9 years warranty / 3 years free replacement.

Tough: Interstate - Norm for vehicles in Northern states where is gets so cold, most vehicles have engine heaters and people leave their vehicles running when shopping or at resturants.

Believe it or not.

#11 ·
COSTCO You can get a battery for your Stang for 38 buks. 100 month/3 year free replacement. You can't get a better deal anywhere for that price. I got one in my 82 and bought one for my Dad for his 98 Ranger.

#12 ·
Just had the same desision to make--

I went with a Sears Die hard blue weather handler after considering the Optima.
Had a $140 credit at Sears and after lifting both batterys they weighed the same. If looks are very important go for th Optima but the Die Hard is a OK looking battery and I was able to get a Great battery a new torque wrench, a set of screw drivers and a digital tier guage with 15 buck left over!!!

#14 ·
My Optima is 6 years old and it is one incredible battery! I've left it dead over the winter for months at a time and it charges right back up!

Put one in my truck last year, works great, fits great!

#16 ·
You shouldn't have much difficulty installing an Optima in your 92 GT, I've seen them in the stock battery tray with the factory battery cables. You may have to experiment with a different hold-down, but other than that, shouldn't be a big deal.

#18 ·
I just bought an Optima. I was an Interstate fan for years and years. Thought I'd try one that needs no water, ever. Not much more expensive than the large Interstates i usually buy. Couple dollars when Optima was on sale.

I have a battery box in the back and used some 2x4 scrap pieces cut just right to fill in gaps so that it's tight. Lid is screwed on, but battery could slide an inch this way or that way without the wood to take up the gap.

#20 ·
I use a Holley Annihilator battery (odyssey). It's nice, but it's not worth $250. It just fit a lot better and it was all the speed shop had. It won't crank the car more than 5 times in a minute thought. I have to let it run for at least 2 minutes to get it to restart. It weighs about 18lbs.

#22 ·
notch90ssp said:
Optima batteries are also great because there is no acid to worry about.
And no fumes... which is important if mounted in the car.

#26 ·
MdNiteDrftr said:
That thing is tiny! It really turns the car over fine? How does the 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds work? For 5 seconds it puts out 680amps, then drops back down to 225?
The Odyssey has worked really well in my car. It has enough power to start the car quite a few times before it gets weak. It weighs about 15 lbs. As with the Optima, this battery is dry cell and doesn't create vapors. This one can be mounted on its side too, like I have. It will actually fit nicely in a stock battery tray on its side. The Dynabat battery is supposed to be exactly the same, just rebadged.

There are pics in the link in my sig of the battery and my rear relocation of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.