Installed battery backwards...now car won't start. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-27-2004, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Installed battery backwards...now car won't start.

I installed my new battery in the dark and connected the positive cable to the negative post and the negative cable to the positive post. Now that the battery is installed correctly, the starter turns over but the engine will not start, and the radio will not turn on. What the hell did I do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-27-2004, 12:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
check all fuses, under dash and under hood... what year is your car

If you didnt Build it, IT AIN'T YOURS!!!!
89' Notch, XE3 340 HP Ford Crate Motor, V2 SQ Trim Vortech, MSD Billit dist and 6al box and msd blaster tfi coil, 42 lb inj, edelbrock intake, 85 mm Abaco mass air, 70 mm tb, 3.73 rear w/ spool and moser 31 spline axels.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-27-2004, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

All fuses under the dash are fine. The only fuse I found under the hood is fine as well (it was for the NX system). I have a 1987 GT w/ MSD 6BTM, MSD Billet distributor, Accel coil, and Moroso rear-mounted battery box. Are there any fuses in my ignition system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-27-2004, 12:56 AM

take a test light and trace the power....start with the coil...was there a fuse in your battery relocation kit?

89' Notch, XE3 340 HP Ford Crate Motor, V2 SQ Trim Vortech, MSD Billit dist and 6al box and msd blaster tfi coil, 42 lb inj, edelbrock intake, 85 mm Abaco mass air, 70 mm tb, 3.73 rear w/ spool and moser 31 spline axels.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-27-2004, 12:57 AM

oh yeah dont quote me but i also think there are fusible links but i dont knowwhere they are

post #6 of 19 Old 10-27-2004, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

One fuse went out on the battery box, and has been replaced. Interior lights and the starter work, but for some reason the stereo is out and the ignition seems dead. I don't understand why the two would be related.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-27-2004, 03:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I did the same thing on my motorcycle and it was a fuse. I'm sure thats what it is with yours....you just have to hunt for it. Check and see if you are getting any spark at the spark plugs. I'm not positive, but isn't there a fuse on your msd? If not you might have fried that. But then again that wouldn't cause your radio to not work. Make sure you check the fuses with a multimeter or fuse checker....sometimes they may look ok, but they aren't. After you check all of that, then you have to check wires to make sure you didn't burn one up. Good luck.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-27-2004, 04:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Disconnect and take the MSD out of the loop. last time 'a friend' helped me put a battery in, he fried the MSD, Monster tach, and Aeromotive pump controller. That friend cost me about $750

Ron Turransky
NMRA EFI/Ren# 4150
NMRA SSO #8 Crew

Support our sponsors Matukas Motorsports Race Cars, Vincent Performance, Nitrous Express, Vortech, Brodix, Kooks Headers, Holcomb Motorsports, NGK Spark Plugs, PA Transmissions, Pro Power, Racecraft Inc, Total Engine Airflow, UPR Products, VP Fuels & Weld Racing
post #9 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

There's power going into the MSD, but not out (a test light to the coil shows no juice). I think I fried the MSD box, and will be buying a 6AL tommorrow.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 04:41 AM

Check to make sure the alternator works once you get it running, You may have fried the neg diodes in it as well. DO NOT remove the battery cables to do this, you will fry the diodes if you do, simply check for a voltage rise when running.

post #11 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 07:43 AM

Sounds like you've tracked it down to the MSD box. On a side note, are you getting fuel? Check to see if your fuel pump is priming the system. Maybe you fried some wiring to the fuel pump.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 10:32 AM

Poosible, but like I said when my 'friend' helped me it got the MSD and I had a 3G alt on it, and it DID pop the large inline fuse I had. Definitely check the alt circuit. The reason why it got my pump controller was that I had it wired directly thru a 12v batt power distribution block.

Ron Turransky
NMRA EFI/Ren# 4150
NMRA SSO #8 Crew

Support our sponsors Matukas Motorsports Race Cars, Vincent Performance, Nitrous Express, Vortech, Brodix, Kooks Headers, Holcomb Motorsports, NGK Spark Plugs, PA Transmissions, Pro Power, Racecraft Inc, Total Engine Airflow, UPR Products, VP Fuels & Weld Racing
post #13 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 11:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Garage
dose the car turn over? if not i bet it is the Starter relay located on the driver side next to the battery . you mighta fried that ..

2013 White 5.0
Stick, 3.73, NAV, Glass Roof, Leather Recaro seats
post #14 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 12:11 PM

There are fusible links coming off the starter selonoid..orange and yellow wires with plastic nubs on them saying fusible link.

Eric

TOO MUCH IS...JUST ENOUGH
post #15 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 05:27 PM

definitally check your fusible links. Your radio should work, is it an aftermarket radio? If so it will probabbly have a seperate fuse in the back of the radio.

88 Coupe: 190lph, 73mm C&L, maf conversion,24lb injectors flowed @ matched, kirbon fpr, subframes,Pro-5.0, stewart water pump, 150 amp. Alt.,Ram chargers fan, battery relocate, Lincoln brakes in rear, 95 cobra up front, full autometer gauges,
post #16 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (41)
If it's not the MSD (after reinstalling a new one), it's possible you could have blown out the EEC...
post #17 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

The engine does turn over, so the starter is fine. I hear the fuel pump turn on too, which is controlled by the EEC, so the EEC seems to be okay. I'm expecting the alternator to be fried, though.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-28-2004, 11:08 PM

I know what you did. I did the same thing 1 week ago, inm the dark not knowing what im doing. heres the deal, for your radio, there is a fuse that should be connected to the back of it that probably blew, as mine did. You most likely fried yoour starter relay beside your bat. by the coil. Check down in there, are some wires, check to assure they are all there. Your car will crank ovr and try to start but it will not start because you fried and burnt up one of these wires. This is waht I did and I had to go back inand replace the wires. Mine was green, but I think I had to replace it before. Im pretty sure its the starter relay that you burnt up, just look down below the coil for several wires and feel them, you def. burnt one of them up and your going to have to splice ina new piece of wire. Ypur car should start perfect then.

1968 Camaro SS
2001 Mustang GT
post #19 of 19 Old 10-31-2004, 01:05 PM

My cousin did this in his toyota only he hooked up a charger-booster backwards. He fried one of the relays so bad teh plastic cover MELTED all over it. He also popped a fusible link. I forgot which relay it was, prolly starter/fuelpump or something but I fixed it for him the only thing was THE RADIO NEVER WORKED AGAIN. The clock/radio fuse was OK, so I was stumped.

2R 1985 GT Convertible SEFI 5.0 5spd 3.73s......wearing sunglasses too....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The site for '79-'86 Mustangs and Capris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement