how to relocate starter solenoid to the trunk ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
how to relocate starter solenoid to the trunk ?

i was reading a post on stangnet earlier and someone was talking about being able to relocated the starter solenoid to the trunk.. how do i do this... what about all the wire that go on with the positive cable...anyone have pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-11-2004, 11:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I am in the process of doing the same thing. What I am planning on doing is (1) move the solenoid to the trunk, (2) run a 1/0 cable from one side of my disconnect switch to one side (+) side of the solenoid, (3) then run a 4 gauge cable from that same side of the solenoid to a 3/8 stud distribution block on the front of the car and (4) connect all the wires that originally came off the + side of the solenoid to that. I think this would work and not interfer with the voltage regulator. The other open post on the solenoid I will run a 1/0 cable to the starter. That is what I have come up with, can anybody else provide some info as to whether or not this would work?

post #3 of 5 Old 08-12-2004, 12:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
www.madelectrical.com used to sell (still do?) a battery relocation kit that used this very scheme. Check 'em out.

Nelson
1990 LX Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Garage
I used the schematic on the MAD electrical website listed above. Works great. I hid my solenoid in the trunk on the passenger side under the liner, so you never see it or the wiring at all.

I did run my starter cable inside the car on the passenger side floor boards, then drilled a hole in the foot well area and used a rubber grommet for the exit. I run all my power under the car using 6 gauge wire. One on drivers' side to original power/ solenoid location, and one on the passenger side for my electrical fans and later NOS power.

Si vis bellum para pacem

Alphabet Soup- Manual Lentech AOD, 3krpm stall UCC, MM TA PHB, CC-CO, AFR, FTI, LTH, 3.73, 333ci/ 420fwhp, S197 mufflers.

Last edited by Leadsled Coupe; 08-12-2004 at 07:50 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2004, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
i kept it in the stock location,,, well as close to stock as it gets my whole inner fender in front of the shock tower is custom,, i routed the harness out of the hole where the cruise control crap used to go through.. my harness was long enought to go around the inner fender so i drilled a hole and used a grommet it looks good ill get some pics tommorow

http://groups.msn.com/BlackStang/fab...to&PhotoID=612

here is a pic of the inner fender b4 i put everything back in.. it actually looks worse right now because of some paint chipping.. im gunna go back in.. refabricate the top of where the fender bolts once i get a good welder.. drill out some holes i welded shut that i need... weld some holes in the firewall shut.. and put on some real paint instead of being lazy and spray bombing it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement