Electrical 1987 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-24-2002, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
Electrical 1987

Well for those who has been following my posts and I am still stumped.......I have gone over my electrical system 10 times.

My lights and all electrical devices work........turn the key and nothing.....bought all new relays......checked all grounds.......The only thing I noticed was when I jumped the starter solenoid and pressed my starter button,the dome light shuts off...... Anyone shed some light on that ????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-24-2002, 11:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What year car is this, and what type of starter are you running?

post #3 of 8 Old 02-24-2002, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (3)
It is a 87 ......and I replaced the original starter with a mini starter......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-24-2002, 01:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Have you checked the ignition switch itself. When they go bad they do funny stuff.

Eric

Black 93GT, Single Precision 7675, 308 Mexican block, F cam, AFR 195's, 75mm TB, 1.7RR, 60's, BA5000 MA, Crane Hi-6, LX-92 Coil, S/N 95 Rails, Kirban FPR, 255 inline/255 intank, aluminum radiator, Countour Fan, Police Oil Cooler, 3.31 gears and a 5 speed.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-24-2002, 03:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (37)
Yeah, wasn't there a recall on the ignitions? I thought they were burning up or just failing.

That seems like a logical place to start.

Good luck dude,
Alan
post #6 of 8 Old 02-24-2002, 04:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (192)
This may sound too simple but I just went thru this over this past summer.
I go to start the 90GT, nothing totally dead. Look up and the dome light is on, turn key....nothing-dome light dims to nothing. Let key go-dome light comes back on. Turn on headlights, they work, hit the key-headlights go out-engine don't even try.
O.K.-WTF!
I put on jumper cables, condition remains the same- me

So I'm thinking starter selenoid right? Wrong!
I take the hot to the starter and put it on the battery and the engine cranks(If you have the mini starter, put the hot on the + battery terminal then touch the small wire to the + terminal)
O.K. now I'm really confused

Turns out that the short 4ga wire that goes from the battery to the selenoid had corroded right in the middle under the shielding. I never say that happen before, no tears or cracks in the shielding, but it had litterally corroded apart. I put a new ($5) terminal, wire, and connector on and it worked fine.

Check all the simple things like this, start eliminating switches, selenoids etc...... to make everything as basic as possible, then go from there.

Good luck!

1984 GT, 363 -RHS215 heads & Super Vic intake by MCRP, FTI cam, Carbureted, Glide, 4.30's, pump gas, street legal, N/A
Bests:1.35 60' / 6.21 /9.76 and 138.8 mph.
Thanks MCRP, UCC, FTI, Sepanek, Braswell, Racecraft, and Team Z
post #7 of 8 Old 02-24-2002, 04:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
I has something along the same lines happen to me. One of the fuseable links that are below the starter soilond was burned into. I can remember if the light worked or not. But it might be something to check out. It is a pretty tight area down there and everything is wraped up with tape so just take you time and look and the wire very close.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2002, 05:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Just wandered in and i hope i can shead some light on your prob. Have you re-wired the solenoid on the starter? Here is what i did when i converted to a mini-starter. Run the original cable that attaches to the starter and move it to the 'hot' side of the solenoid on the fire wall. Next, take a smal wire (10 gauge) signal wire and hook it to the opposite side of the solenoid (the pole closest to the battery) run that wire to the small terminal on your starter and you should be in business. Hope this helps, again, i just wondered in here so i do not know what you have accomplished already...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement