Need Help ASAP! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2002, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Need Help ASAP!

Well, as some of you know, my car died the other day. I went to pull the alternator and I noticed one of the wires was fried going into it. I replaced the wire and check to make sure the alternator was still good. I finished the wiring this morning. The car was dead, so I had it jump started. I let it run for ~2 min. the I shut it off. I tried starting it back up and it won't turn over. The battery seems to be good because the interior lights and alarm works. I really don't want to have to have it towed to a mechanic who is going to charge me through the roof to fix a little problem. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2002, 02:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
So, it'll start if you jump it? Sounds like the battery doesn't put out enough juice to get it to crank. Even if it does power the lights and alarm. Turn you dome light on when you try to start it next time, you'll notice it'll prolly dim or go out as you turn the key.
Get a new battery.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2002, 02:33 PM

If you have a volt meter check that you have good output from battery. 12.5v or there abouts.

This could also be a bad cable or even a bad started. I just had to replace the started in my Trooper. I was able to jump start it once so I thought my new battery was bad. I returned it and put in another new one. Then I couldn't even jump start it. I put in a starter and no more problems. I guess the one jump start that got me home gave the starter just enough boost for one last effort.

If you have a 5 spd and can push start okay and it runs okay I would suspect the starter or cable. I am concerned about the fried wires from the alt though.

good luck

Terry Patton
Sold this one now... 95 5 speed 'vert...now with Fluidyne radiator, Pullies, 65mm TB, Bullet 75MAF, WMS Cold Air Induction w/ K&N, PBR 2 piston caliper brake upgrade.

THE 94 HAS BEEN TOTALED 3/19/02...LONG LIVE THE 95!!!

Used to have a:
94gt Convertible w/AODE (OINK!)
JMS Chip, Romac Balancer, Art Carr modified valve body and some internal upgrades, Borla cat-back, FMS 3.73 gears, FMS "B" springs & Tokico non-adjustables, Hotchkis CC plates

In my garage waitin' for heads...Cobra intake, 1.7RR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2002, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ 94gt vert
This could also be a bad cable
My negative battery terminal cable has one of those "quick release" handle things. Once after working on the car, I reattached the cable. The light under the hood came on, and when I opened the door, the door chime went off. Anyway, I tried to start it and nothing. I then messed with the quick release terminal and tightened as good as I could......car started right up after that.

Try that...it just might be that simple. Although I can't explain the alternator wire problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 - TNT 300 shot, VEC2, etc.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2002, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

My alarm now sounds like it's dying. I think my battery is out of juice. I am going to get it re-charged. thanks for all of youe help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement