what causes corrosion on the battery cables at the battery posts? 1995 GT - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-10-2002, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
what causes corrosion on the battery cables at the battery posts? 1995 GT

I have a 95 gt and keep getting corrosion on the cables where they connect to the battery. Why does this happen and is there a way to prevent it?

1994 gt vert. triple black, 5 speed. DSS 331 afr 185, b31, procharger d1sc, 3 core intercooler, trick flow track heat, 3.55's, 60# inj, 65mm tb,and the list goes on. 515 rwhp tuned by bob kurgan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2002, 08:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Clean the terminals with a mix of baking soda and water then coat with petrolum jelly. This should help prevent the corrosion.

post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2002, 11:37 AM

Sandard issue oxidization as far as I know - Metal/Electricity/Oxygen don't get along - Like others have said - coat them in a oil (Preferably dielectric Grease) to end it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2002, 12:17 PM

My 3 year old niece was around my car once and asked if the pile of white stuff on the battery was bird poop. I said yes, so i will stick with that.

Matt
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Banned

Trader Feedback: (1)
The buildup on the battery terminals is caused by battery acid leaking around the post. Just the vapor is enough to do the damage. This was caused when someone tightened the battery cable too tight causing the post to move and elongating the hole where post goes into the battery. I would suggest removing the cables and cleaning everything off with baking soda and water. Dry everything off reall good thed seal around the posts using epoxy or rubber cement. Then carefully replace the cables and tighten them. Those red and green felt washers you can get at the parts store will add extra protection.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2002, 06:24 AM

If the corrosion is profuse, have the alternator checked. If the unit is overcharging the battery it'll make the battery puke its acid out. It's a long shot, but I've seen it (only on GM cars though).

Chris
90 LX
87 GN
post #7 of 11 Old 02-12-2002, 03:30 PM

Blown95 has my vote here. My cables would gunk up in a matter of weeks. Just get a new battery. Even a small, unnoticable gas leak will cause this and it can also be a VERY explosive situation if you try to jump the battery and get a little arc.

Terry Patton
Sold this one now... 95 5 speed 'vert...now with Fluidyne radiator, Pullies, 65mm TB, Bullet 75MAF, WMS Cold Air Induction w/ K&N, PBR 2 piston caliper brake upgrade.

THE 94 HAS BEEN TOTALED 3/19/02...LONG LIVE THE 95!!!

Used to have a:
94gt Convertible w/AODE (OINK!)
JMS Chip, Romac Balancer, Art Carr modified valve body and some internal upgrades, Borla cat-back, FMS 3.73 gears, FMS "B" springs & Tokico non-adjustables, Hotchkis CC plates

In my garage waitin' for heads...Cobra intake, 1.7RR's
post #8 of 11 Old 02-12-2002, 04:02 PM

I would agree the corrosion on the battery cables is from a little bit of battery acid getting out of your battery. The cable ends and the posts can be cleaned with little brush you can get at shucks for like 2$. Then the acid which is already on top of the battery can be neutralized with baking soda as stated above. Then as stated above you can insert the little felts on top of your battery under you cables and spray the cable ends and the battery posts with a sealer which will prevent further corrosion.
I would suggest though, that you take the whole battery out and look at the bottum of your battery tray.
If the bolts that secure your tray are rusty, I would take the whole tray out. I would then scrub the car with baking soda where the tray attaches to the car and scrub the tray out really well with baking soda and water. I would then repalce the bolts and the battery when I put everything back together.
After all you do not want the battery corroding your inner fender etc. Just go look at some 70's cars or trucks and you will see that almost none of them still have a solid battery tray, because they rusted out due to the battery acid.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-12-2002, 08:30 PM

He can try the little felt things but they didn't do squat on mine. The corrosion came back so fast it was an excercise in futility to bother with cleaning. With a heathy battery all I use is a little dialectric grease on the terminal and then a spray of white lithium on both terminals once the cables are on.

Terry Patton
Sold this one now... 95 5 speed 'vert...now with Fluidyne radiator, Pullies, 65mm TB, Bullet 75MAF, WMS Cold Air Induction w/ K&N, PBR 2 piston caliper brake upgrade.

THE 94 HAS BEEN TOTALED 3/19/02...LONG LIVE THE 95!!!

Used to have a:
94gt Convertible w/AODE (OINK!)
JMS Chip, Romac Balancer, Art Carr modified valve body and some internal upgrades, Borla cat-back, FMS 3.73 gears, FMS "B" springs & Tokico non-adjustables, Hotchkis CC plates

In my garage waitin' for heads...Cobra intake, 1.7RR's
post #10 of 11 Old 02-13-2002, 02:56 PM

Or you could spend the money and get an Optima battery and not worry about corrosion, acid fumes or leakage. I learned this the hard way when on my jeep the battery leaked and corroded everything on the way down. When I got my cobra there was no way I was taking a chance of that happening again, so first thing I did was to put in an Optima sealed battery and havent had any
corosion or problems with battery since.

1994 Cobra... now with 6.0 upgrade
post #11 of 11 Old 02-13-2002, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
OK, i took some of your suggestions, now time will tell if i fixed the problem.
I mixed baking soda and water, scrubbed the battery and connectors clean. Then used dielectric on the cables and posts. If this doesnt help then im going with the optima.

1994 gt vert. triple black, 5 speed. DSS 331 afr 185, b31, procharger d1sc, 3 core intercooler, trick flow track heat, 3.55's, 60# inj, 65mm tb,and the list goes on. 515 rwhp tuned by bob kurgan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement