Battery and Starter Relay Relocation - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 05-04-2003, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Battery and Starter Relay Relocation

I'm going to relocate my battery to my trunk. At the same time I'm thinking it is a good idea to relocate the starter relay as well. I'm not very good at eletrical, but I think I can move it without doing damage.

Here is what I cirrently have. 91 5.0 and 130 amp alternator with 4 gauge power wire upgrade. At the sametime I'm also going to upgrade to the 93+ mini starter.

This is what i'm thinking of doing.

1. Mount battery in trunk (NHRA legal kit).
2. Move starter relay to trunk as well, extend "start" wire back to relay at sametime.
3. Cable from the battery POS (1 ga) to positive of relay. 1 ga from battery NEG to car body.
4. Follow instructions for mini starter install to relay (2 wires to starter 1 ga for one of them).
5. Now I'm not sure about this one, 4 ga wire from POS on relay forward to old location to distrubution point (all wires from POS side of relay on this point). Keep exsiting 4 ga fused wire from 130 amp alternator here as well.
6. Ground engine block and computer to body with grounding strap / 1 ga wire.

Does this sound right? If I do this job correctly and neatly will I run into any problems? Also If I'm using a 4 ga wire forward to distrubtion point, and run the wire along side of my speaker wires will I get any engine "hmmm" from it?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-04-2003, 10:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
you need to run a kill switch to be nhra compliant. It would go: wire from pos on relay to switch --to switch--wire from hot side of switch to battery. You will also need to run the alt wire from the hot side of the switch to the alt so all current can be killed.

Ray
92 coupe
TFS stage 2 twisted wedge Heads.TFS track heat intake.Ultradyne Cam.#24 inj.190 lph fuel pump.70mm TB.75mm MAF.1 3/4 Long Tubes.hpipe.Flowmasters.1.6 roller rockers.C4 reverse pattern.3000 stall.3.73.electric fan. eibach springs.battery relocation.3g Alt.MSD 6AL.Autometer Phantom Guages.99 Brakes.95 Rear End.93 Cobra brake booster.99 Cobra Wheels.Eaton Posi.Moser 31 Spline Axles.GP CC Plates.Diamond Clears
Originally posted by TBG

I wont die alone..Im taking people with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement