Need some serious help!!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2003, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Unhappy Need some serious help!!!

I was having a problem after I went down a steep driveway and scraped the exhaust. now my turn signals don't work and I'm blowing the fuse instantly as soon as i put it into the fuse box.

I've narrowed down to the following scenario: the fuse will not blow and all the flashers and everything work, but as soon as i even slightly tap the clutch (maybe something near there) the fuse blows instantly.

I'm thinking it's either some switch under there or maybe something along where the clutch cable runs to the trans or maybe even on the trans since i scraped

I just want my baby back on the road again. Please HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2003, 10:34 PM

What year car? You say the fuse blows instantly..which one? You also said the turn signals don't work, but then said that the flashers work?? Do you mean the Hazard 4 way lights work, but not the turn signals? You also said that it blows when you push the clutch in, but if it blows instantly when you put the fuse in then isn't it already blown before you push in the clutch??

A little clarification and more info please......

post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2003, 10:40 PM

If its fuse #5 that blowing, it controls the turn signals, rear window defrost and backup lamps. The only thing that would be on that circuit that could be shorting out underneath the car where you scaped it would be the backup lamp switch on the side of the transmission. Look underneath the car at the wiring that comes through the floor pan to the transmission, and check it carefully for damage. Its probably scraped through and touching on metal underneath somewhere. You'll need to repair the damage to the wiring. That harness will also have the neutral safety wiring in it linked through teh clutch so its almost for sure you have damaged that harness bad enough to rip a few wires out and they are shorting out. Should be pretty obvious once you crawl underneath and look for it. Check the harness routing too while you're at it. It should be secured to the side of the transmission and not hanging down, so it dosent get damaged if you say...bottom out on something?

Brian

Last edited by thunderlx; 04-18-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2003, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

it's the #9 fuse on a 95 cobra. is the neutral safety switch the one that is by the clutch pedal or is it on the transmission somewhere. the #9 fuse controls the turn signals, hazards, and stop lamps. not sure how the wiring is run to the back of the car or where it is to check for the short. any help would be great. i've been trying everything so far and no luck. thanks guys.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2003, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

oh yeah, i meant the fuse was blowing instantly but i got it to somehow work until i touched the clutch pedal even in the slightest bit. so that's kinda weird to me. must be something with one of the switches related to the pedals.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2003, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

ok finally got it figured out. it was the clutch safety switch. somehow it managed to get caught near the quadrant thus was shorting out on the quadrant when i was touching it. taped up the wires with some electrical tape and works like a charm. weird how this all of a sudden happened and coincided with me scraping my exhaust. either way thanks to all of you for your help and responses. it was a huge help. boy i'm glad for mustang forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement