Fan problem, possibly CCRM, and other mysteries - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2003, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Fan problem, possibly CCRM, and other mysteries

I will try to be brief, thanks in advance for any help. I'm new at working on modern cars, so please bear with me.

I had an issue with my fan not coming on (at all). So after some searches I decided to wire a manual switch to the fan for a temporary fix. The fan itself did work fine and the temp fix worked.

The pigtail was very brittle and shows some signs of melting around the ground lead. I cut it off tonight and I will be replacing it tomorrow. I did attach some tempory leads to the fresh wire and to the connections to the fan for testing purposes.

I checked the 60 amp fan fuse and it is fine.

I went to the Ford dealer and purchased a CCRM and put it in.

Still nothing.

One thing I discovered on this car (I bought it with the built motor and custom parts) is a disconnected electrical plug. It is the last lead just before the CCRM and coolant bottle connections. It is round with 4 pins inside. I cannot find anything that it mates to. Is it ,or maybe I should say "it is" possible, with all the aftermarket stuff that this is no longer used, or am I missing something? I can post a pic of it if needed.

On a side note, when trying to get the car to temperature for testing, and it did get very hot before I shut it down, the car was venting at high pressure into the overflow bottle, in addition, there was coolant coming out of a small hole at the top center of the water pump slightly. Is this a vent? Or is the pump needing replacement as well?

One thing I have not tested is the ECT sensor in the intake or even touched. Maybe I should have done this first. Am I correct?

With the temp leads on the wring going to the fan and the new CCRM I do not get anything at normal operating to high temperature with the engine running or with a KOEO test. I tried turning on the A/C as well, but for the record my A/C is not currently charged also the compressor does not kick on (if that matters).

Any ideas guys? Thanks!

I'll be buying a manual tomorrow as I don't have one, with a wiring diagram, but knowing something in advance might help me sleep!

2004 Cadillac CTS-V, LS6/6-speed, all stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2003, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

I should also note, since I now know the CCRM has relays for the fuel pump as well, that i have a 190 gph in-tank and a T-Rex pusher. I don't know how they are wired, but the obviously runs ans good fuel pressure. So, I don't know how that plays intothe CCRM picture and the mystery electircal connection.

I also get constant check engine lights, but I haven't been too concerened. The car was Vortech supercharged previously with a custom chip. It went back to NA with stock chip when I bought it. It has an off road H with all emmisions stuff still in tact. The smog pump goes into the atmosphere. I have given that blame for the CE lights.

Could it be the ECT sensor?

post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2003, 07:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
The most common reason a fan won't come on on an SN95 is a bad ECT sensor. It's a lot cheaper than a CCRM. If the fan come on with the AC on then the ECT is bad.

95 Lightning - Slow
95 Convertible 357 turbo
10.5/135 @ 3800#
SCT Tuned

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-03-2003, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

The A/C system is not charged, so the compressor will not engage. I don't know if it was charged and engagin if that would matter or not.

The CCRM is brand new as of last night.

Still, no fan.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-03-2003, 03:14 PM

KC - Check the continuity between groud and the ground terminal on your plug. Mine showed enough resistance that it wouldn't trigger the continuity 'beep' on my meter.

For a test I jumpered the high speed fan connection (bottom lug on the motor)between the plug and the motor and ran my own ground from the ground terminal (top lug on the motor) and the negative post on my battery. This sprung my fan right back into operation.

Now that I know what was wrong with mine, I just need to see if I can repair what's there, find a stock replacement it, or build something new to replace it.

Your situation sounds a lot like mine.

Good Luck!

Shawn

'06 Mercury Montego - FWD, 6-Speed ATX, Premier package
'02 Volkswagon Jetta GLS TDI - mods & MPG!
'95 Mustang GT Convertible 5Sp - SOLD
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2003, 08:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Replace the ECT. It's only $22 from Ford. 80% chance that's what it is.

95 Lightning - Slow
95 Convertible 357 turbo
10.5/135 @ 3800#
SCT Tuned

post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2003, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Don 95Vert
Replace the ECT. It's only $22 from Ford. 80% chance that's what it is.
I'll give that a shot. I mistakingly assumed that because the gauge was reading inthe dash that it was not related to that...but then Irealized there are two independent sensors.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement