Stupid Fan (post recall) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: What is your fan situation?
Didn't do the recall, everything is great 6 54.55%
Did the recall - cured all my fan problems. 0 0%
Did the recall - same problems / made it worse 2 18.18%
Junked the stock setup and went with something else 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Angry Stupid Fan (post recall)

I had zero problems with my stock fan / CCRM until I had the recall done. Once the recall was installed I had low-speed operation of the fan but as soon as the high speed fan was to kick on, the fan turned off.

I returned it to the dealer where they replaced the fan, CCRM, junked the circuit breaker add-in, and changed my thermostat. This got it working like it did before the recall was performed.

Six months down the road, my fan because intermittent. There seemed to be no ryme nor reason as to why it would and would not work. It'd crap out and start working again sometimes within minutes and sometimes the next day. It's been working fine up until today where it turned off and stayed off.

I searched the threads and decided to wire up the green / purple stripe wire to a switch that grounded out to kick on the fan. This netted me a nice clicker (the CCRM relays clicking), but no fan. I re-seated the plug on the fan - no joy. I checked and there seemed to be no power going to the plug at the fan. Upon further investigation it turns out that the +12v was working fine for the low and high speed posts on the fan, the ground was shot. The plug had actually burned and was starting to come apart. The wire itself looked to have gotten really hot and the sheathing had cracked away in a couple places all the way back up into the harness.

I was in a pinch to get the car on the road again (it's my only driver!) so I made up some jumpers to connect the high speed fan +12v and I ran a ground to the negative battery terminal for now. This ended up looking a lot like Dave88lx's alternator downgrade wiring job.

For the time being I've got the car drivable with the high speed fan coming on automatically as well as a manual switch to let me turn it on as I feel it needs it.

It looks like the root cause of my intermittent fan is the wiring harness between the CCRM and the fan, specifically with the ground wire. I'm hoping this is a section of harness I can buy to replace it, otherwise I'll try to find a good piece in a yard and go from there. I'm thinking that at least the plug for the fan should be available someplace.

I'll have to get a pic of the ghetto wiring job under the hood.

Hooking up the wire for the manual fan control was a piece of cake. It's gonna take me longer to mount the switch than it took me to locate the wire in the kick panel and splice in the tap.

I hope this helps somebody out. Tracing down our fan problems is a PITA .

Shawn

'06 Mercury Montego - FWD, 6-Speed ATX, Premier package
'02 Volkswagon Jetta GLS TDI - mods & MPG!
'95 Mustang GT Convertible 5Sp - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 06:13 AM

why not wire up the low speed fan? it requires a lot less current then the high speed fan.

GT 40 long block gt 40x heads, B303 cam BBK 70MM TB, EDELBROCK PERFORMER RPM , MAC COLD AIR, KIRBAN ADJUSTABLE FPR , TWEECER RT.
FMS 30LB Injectors, PRO-M 75 MM Mass Air Sensor, MSD Pro Billet distributor, Msd Blaster coil, Crane HI-6S Igniton.
BBK 1 5/8 EQUAL LENGTH HEADERS, STAINLESS STEEL 2 1/2 H PIPE, Mangnaflow Polished SS 2 1/2 Cat Back, 3 1/2 Tips
via 1200mhz carputer, gps, mp3 ,dvd
1968 firebird 400
1996 sts 4.6 DOHV NORTHSTAR
post #3 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Slantman - If it were a permanent solution I'd go for that. Right now it is still being controlled by the EEC and since I have the fan coming on lower via the TwEECer, the low speed fan is only on for all of a couple seconds before the high speed kicks on anyways. I didn't hook the Low speed up because I ran out of 1/4" crimp connectors.

I'm going to try to find that connector that plugs into the fan. I'm not real optimistic about getting it from Ford, but I'm hoping that it is available some place.

If I can't get a new one I'm gonna try to see if I can get a yard to part with that chunk of the harness.

Worst case scenario I'll cut up the connector and retain the +12v low/high fan part of the plug and just run a heavy ground to the ground terminal. I noticed that the casing for the fan motor isn't grounded so I have to get gound to the terminal, which complicates matters. It'd be a lot easier to simply ground the fan motor case!

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 PM

My car had 80,000 mi on it when i got the recall notice.I scheduled to have the car dropped the next week(mind you i never had any trouble with it before,I like to keep car up to date)the next day the damn thing went into nucleur melt down and caught on fire,completely destroying the fan,radiator,hoses,belt and the wiring.I never thought a plastic fan was that flammable.Anyway FORD dealer fixed it all at no charge because of fan recall.I havent had any trouble since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement