sn-95 battery in the trunk - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-01-2003, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
sn-95 battery in the trunk

im about to put my battery in the trunk and i was wondering how you guys mounted the kill switch.. i want to hide it but i dont know where. on a fox car its easy to put it behind the license plate and just space the plate out.. on our cars the plate is part of the trunk so that is more of a pita to do. if anyone has one hidden please explain... thanks

95 green gt D.S.S. 347 stroker and a 150 shot. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-01-2003, 05:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
i couldn't find anywhere cool to mount it that was inconspicuous on our cars so i put it in front of the license plate to the right. now that i'm used to it, it doesn't look bad.

post #3 of 21 Old 04-01-2003, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

so did you just run longer wires and run them along the trunk? kinda like the trunk light wiring goes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-01-2003, 06:31 PM

I am in the process of doing one on my car, the plan is to use a rod-actuated switch and have the handle come out through the turn signal. For on the street I will simply pick up a 2nd turn singal assy to swap out when I drive it on the street.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-01-2003, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

ive thought of doing it that way also... idunno

post #6 of 21 Old 04-02-2003, 12:19 AM

i completely removed the rear bumper, tailights and the inside trunk lining. there are two holes already there that you can pass the cable through. i ran the cable through the hole closest to the battery to the outside of the car, which will be concealed by the bumper. i attached it to the switch while holding the bumper close (kinda a pita, might want a helper) attached the other side if the switch to the cable, ran it through the hole on the driver's side of the car which passed it back into the trunk and ran the cable inside the car under the carpet and under all the plastic trim. you wouldn't even know it was there except for the switch in the bumper.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-02-2003, 10:15 AM

Edit for content

Just some tips:

The switch has to be clearly labeled and if it's push/pull it's needs to be push for off.

I didn't trunk mount the battery in my 'very but in my '92 I did it through the plate and drew the little arrow and the word 'OFF' on the plate itself. If I was worried about someone messing with it I'd take the handle off. What I ended up doing was putting a small fuse holder across the terminals of the switch with a 10A fuse on it. This way if someone decided to play with the switch, nothing would happen. I came out a couple times to my car having been switched off. I think some kid turned it off, nothing happened so they tried switching it back which resulted in the car alarm going off. To silence the siren they turned it back off.

Since I added the fuse holder I haven't came out to my car having been switched off. The reason for the light fuse is to allow the system to still cut-out if something shorts or whatever.

Good luck with your trunk mount battery. Make sure that you ground it good and your car won't even notice that the battery is in the trunk. I used 2 gauge wire for the hot and the ground. I grounded it at the trunk and I ran a cable all the way up to the block where the body to block ground strap hooks up. I had zero cranking issues with my car.

Shawn

'06 Mercury Montego - FWD, 6-Speed ATX, Premier package
'02 Volkswagon Jetta GLS TDI - mods & MPG!
'95 Mustang GT Convertible 5Sp - SOLD

Last edited by Shawn95GTRag; 04-02-2003 at 10:20 AM.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-02-2003, 03:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
you dont need a switch if you dont plan on going to the track(me) or live in texas where no one seems to care, i have never had filled out a tech card and when i gave it back someone actually looked at my car. you poor yankee's have it rough...
post #9 of 21 Old 04-02-2003, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

well i do go to the track so i want it to be legal... i dont want to drive an hour and a half to the track so they can tell me i cant race cause i have no switch.. ya know?

post #10 of 21 Old 04-02-2003, 05:00 PM
P63

Trader Feedback: (15)
Keep in mind that, if you get in a crash, that 30 lb battery is going to want to break free and go straight. I don't know if I would trust one of the plastic kits to restrain the battery.
$0.02.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

... and the avatar is the UK band The Primitives.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-02-2003, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

i agree P63 i have the taylor aluminum box in my car

post #12 of 21 Old 04-02-2003, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by P63
Keep in mind that, if you get in a crash, that 30 lb battery is going to want to break free and go straight. I don't know if I would trust one of the plastic kits to restrain the battery.
$0.02.
I used Moroso's plastic battery box kit which I think is the only NHRA legal plastic box. It uses a metal hold-down that pinches the battery box between the car body and the battery. It isn't going anyplace!

Shawn
post #13 of 21 Old 04-03-2003, 04:10 PM

post #14 of 21 Old 04-03-2003, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

zerot- link doesnt work...

post #15 of 21 Old 04-03-2003, 06:52 PM

link works fine but stangnet is tired of people leeching their bandwidth.

post #16 of 21 Old 04-03-2003, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

zerort-----ok i see it now... i like that alot does that rod fit under the trunk when it is shut? or did you have to trim the trunk also?

post #17 of 21 Old 04-03-2003, 07:53 PM

I was thinking about doing this, but what's the point of having a kill switch? There's no kill switch on the battery when it's stock, and why does it have to be outside the car? Are they worried that you'll start an electrical fire or something because you don't know jack about how to set up the cables? I could put new cables on my battery and leave it in the stock position without putting in a kill switch.. Please clue me in.

Matt Freeman '95 GT T-5, ... email mayo302 (at) gmail.com
post #18 of 21 Old 04-03-2003, 08:02 PM

It's because in a wreck there is a much higher chance of the big hot lead being pinched and shorting if the lead is 16+ feet long than if it's 2 feet long.

Plus there is a higher chance that you will not be able to get to a battery that is mounted in the trunk than one under the hood to manually disconnect it.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-03-2003, 11:33 PM

ahhh. Thanks! I had no clue, but I guess that does make sense. Too bad that it probably wouldn't be legal to do it this way...

Run both cables (hot and ground) up to the engine compartment via separate sides of the car, to the normal battery location, and have a shut off switch for both ends in there, that way the only way that it would ground is if the whole car gets completely demolished, in which case you would be dead anyways...

That way if there was a short, the first place someone would look is the same place the shut off would be.

Matt Freeman '95 GT T-5, ... email mayo302 (at) gmail.com
post #20 of 21 Old 04-04-2003, 03:55 AM

Quote:
originally posted by WaterPog
It's because in a wreck there is a much higher chance of the big hot lead being pinched and shorting if the lead is 16+ feet long than if it's 2 feet long.
OK i see your point on why but wouldn't installing a circuit breaker next to the trunk mounted battery be a better solution.
1. It's more effective because the circuit breaker will break the circuit instantly and automatically. (IE: your dont have to wait for someone to run over to your wreck and push in the switch. Also if you wreck on the street who will know to push in the switch for you if you can't get to it, where as the breaker would of done it for you.

2. Easier installation and you don't have to drill holes thru your body work and have an ugly ass switch showing.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-04-2003, 09:09 AM

there are other situations that the switch would be better for as well, such as an engine fire where the fuel pump is still running, for a breaker to pop it would pretty much have to be a direct short on the main line because the breaker has to be able flow enough amperage to allow you to start the car as well w/o popping.

and there isn't anything in the rules saying you can't put a breaker inline as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement