WHY DOESN'T MY COOLING FAN TURN ON? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-19-2003, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
WHY DOESN'T MY COOLING FAN TURN ON?

Hey everyone, for a while now my cooling fan will not turn on. I have tried everything, and replaced anything connected to what turns it on and off etc. I have replaced both temp sensors, the one that screws into the lower intake and controls the temp gauge, and the other one that screws into the water rail thing on the passenger side of the car. I have also replaced the CCRM and that changed nothing. I had to resort to installing an aftermarket fan control unit, since I never figured out what was wrong. I want to fix the original fan controler becuase the aftermarket one is giving me problems. I tested the ground on the connector and its grounded, but the hi and low power never go on. I've had this problem for a long time now, and I think it originated ever since I pulled the motor etc. Is there anything special fuse or something I have to ground, im getting realy desperate ANY HELP WITH BE APPRECIATED. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-20-2003, 11:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
We had the same problem, replaced everything you described and more.

If you figure it out please let me know what you came up with.

post #3 of 16 Old 03-20-2003, 03:11 PM

Have you tried replacing the motor?
Albert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-20-2003, 08:02 PM

I know what it is I did all the things that you tried. There was a recall on the electic fan. What it did was it burned up the motor in the fan so you have to take it to a Ford garage and get them to replace the whole fan unit.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-20-2003, 09:08 PM

Join the club! I did all that and more... finally ended up wiring it to a switch. I definitely have the wiring problem narrowed down to somewhere between the front and rear bumper.

I even installed the recall kit (which was really just a circuit breaker).
post #6 of 16 Old 03-20-2003, 09:27 PM

I bought a new fan and ran a new wiring assembly to a switch. It is totally independent of the CCRM. Works great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 - TNT 300 shot, VEC2, etc.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-20-2003, 10:41 PM
UNAUTHORIZED ADVERTISER

Trader Feedback: (3)
Obviously you guys have all experienced the typical Ford Electric Fan problems. Did anyone ever think of checking the wires between the ECM and the CCRM. Within the circuit there are wires that run to the ECM. You need to get a wiring diagram of the complete circuit and start back probing wires at the ECM. You will need a good Volt/Ohm meter to do this properly.

My Mom says that if I keep violating the forum's rules about signatures and advertising, I'll just be banned altogether.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-21-2003, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. THe fan is not bad, when i bypass the CCRM the fan works fine, on HIGH and LOW mode. NITROSTANGRACING, how will I go about testing the cwires between CCRM and ECM, the ECM being what exactly? Thanks for the help though
post #9 of 16 Old 03-21-2003, 11:20 PM
UNAUTHORIZED ADVERTISER

To go ahead and check those wires you really need to be good with electric. Do you know anyone in your area with ALLDATA or MITCHELL ON DEMAND? You will need to pull out the wiring diagrams for the fan circuit. You should also pull out the trouble shooting tree to check for your problem. With the Diagrams you need to make sure you have the PIN chart for the ECM. See what you can do to get them and get back with me and I can trya nd help you. If you send me the specifics on your car I might be able to get what you need and send it to you.

My Mom says that if I keep violating the forum's rules about signatures and advertising, I'll just be banned altogether.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-22-2003, 01:37 AM

wow.. and i didn't even think about the recall that i didn't have done when i noticed i'm having fan problems too

mine doesn't seem to come on like it used to.. the temp gauge creeps up all the way to A or L before i get scared and turn on the A/C to get the fan to kick in.. at least it tunrs on at that point.

post #11 of 16 Old 03-22-2003, 10:39 AM
UNAUTHORIZED ADVERTISER

Mgranzow----your problem seems like you mighjt have a coolant temps ensor going bad. Unplug it and check continuity between the two posts and see what it is when it is cold. The easiest way to explain it is the lower the number the better. If the coolant temp sensor gets varnished it can cause a delay in you fan signal.

post #12 of 16 Old 03-22-2003, 10:59 AM

i had the same problem when i installed my 95 5.0 engine! i tried everything just as you guys did. i also checked my fuses, they didnt appear burnt but obviously were. as soon as i replaced it the fan kicked on.

try replacing the fuse for yuor fan. it's in the engine bay fuse box. tell me what happends.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-22-2003, 11:05 AM

EXTREMEPAINT, your ECM is the engine control module.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-22-2003, 11:10 AM

sorry, it's Electronic Control Module. it controls all of your sensors. ignition module, fuel pump, oxygen sensor, intake air temp., vehicle speed sensorcoolant stuff liek that. it pretty much controls all functions of fuel inejction, using an array of sensors and switches to do so..
post #15 of 16 Old 03-22-2003, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Hey Bottlefed, if it is what you say, i will seriously kick myself in my ass. I do remember the box getting a little wet when the cover was off, so maybe something did burn inside it. Do you remember which fuse number it was or how many amp fuse it was. Thanks alot for the replies, i realy hope i can recolve this problem!
post #16 of 16 Old 03-22-2003, 11:56 PM

sorry i dont rememebr exactly which fuse it was. ill look ASAP. but i used a 25 amp fuse for it. it was orginally 30 i believe? but the 25 works excellent! ill look possibly in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement