Found the circuit that's draining my battery, but.... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-24-2003, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Found the circuit that's draining my battery, but....

I found that with the test light in place, and it's showing kinda bright, and I pull out fuse #8, the test light dims dramatically. It's still barely on when I pull fuse #8, but I think that's normal. On circuit #8, I got one of my friends owners manual from his '97 GT. Even though mine is a '94, it should be mostly the same. For circuit #8 I have.....

Courtesy lamps
Radio
Power mirrors
Remote keyless entry
Clock

I have checked/pulled out the glove box bulb, bulb in headliner, and trunk bulb. Is that all of the courtesy lamps?

I pulled the radio and unplugged the 2 plugs and antenna from the back.

I unplugged the power mirror switch on the drivers door.

I don't think '94's had keyless entry, so I have no idea where to find it to unplug it, do you all know where it is?

I also unplugged the clock.

I did all this and the test light is still lit. Though I did notice that I don't get a speedometer reading wen I pulled the #8 fuse. I don't see it listed under the items that that fuse is feeding power to.

Anyway, can you tell me ANYTHING else I can check? Can you tell me if '94's had keyless entry? If so, where is it?

Thanks,
Frank

For everyone in South Florida, come check out the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

13.1 @ 105.7 mph (N/A)
12.3 @ 112.5 mph (100 shot)
12.1 @ 115.7 mph (125 shot)

All times are with Nitto Drag Radials.

"Women come and go, but a good car is hard to find. Wait.... no I said that right ."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bottlefed90GT; 02-24-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-24-2003, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Well, according to another thread, some '94's came with keyless entry, and it's located in the drivers side rear quarter panel, so I'll go check that now.

Frank

13.1 @ 105.7 mph (N/A)

"Women come and go, but a good car is hard to find. Wait.... no I said that right ."
post #3 of 5 Old 02-24-2003, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, this is definitely not the normal drain problem. I unplugged the courtesy lights, no change in test light brightness. I unplugged the clock, no change in test light brightness. I unplugged power mirrors, no change in test light brightness.

With everythin still unplugged, and the test light still bright, I found the factory keyless entry system in the drivers side rear quarter panel and unplugged it. I take a look, and test light went WAY dimmer, barely visible. So I said, YES, I found the drain!! So, I left the keyless entry unplugged, and plugged everything else back in, shut al thedoors, and checked the test light. IT WAS BRIGHT AGAIN!!! So, with the keyless entry still unplugged, I began unplugging stuff again, the dome light, the clock, then the radio. When I unplugged the radio, the test light went WAY dim again. I unplugged and plugged in the radio several times noting how the testlight got bright, then dim as I did this. So, because I had everything unplugged at the same time, I thought it was only the keyless entry system that was drawing power, but in fact it was BOTH the radio, and the keyless entry system! Wow, I'm sure they didn't goat the exact same time, but both together made the draw noticeable, and caused a problem.

Frank

13.1 @ 105.7 mph (N/A)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-26-2003, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bottlefed90GT
When I unplugged the radio, the test light went WAY dim again. I unplugged and plugged in the radio several times noting how the testlight got bright, then dim as I did this. So, because I had everything unplugged at the same time, I thought it was only the keyless entry system that was drawing power, but in fact it was BOTH the radio, and the keyless entry system!
Frank
Hey Frank, sounds like you are going through just what I did a couple years ago with my 94. I started getting slow cranking and apparently fixed that for a while with an overnight charging. Then my wife woke me up to tell me someone or thing was in the garage. Sure enough, i could hear random thumps in there. It was the damn car thumping, coming from the Mach 460 subwoofers, while the car was stone cold!

Needless to say I started disconnecting all sorts of things, but the damn stereo kept doing it. Drained the battery rather nicely too. Just left things unplugged since I did not listen to the stereo much, when the battery finally died. Got a new one, and it occurred to me to plug the stereo back in. And of course, no thumps, no battery drain, all was as new?????

Theory is that the battery voltage was low, and spazzing out the "keep alive" functions of the stereo. Same might go for the keyless (which I also have) which is always "on". Spring for a new battery and see what happens. I think some of the "always on" devices need a certain voltage minumum to behave.

Bob
post #5 of 5 Old 02-26-2003, 11:34 PM

I have the exact same problem, with the stereo and clock working with the car turned off. I have the clock unplugged and I turn the stereo off before I shut the car down, but it still drains the battery. I cleaned the bolt for one of the grounds in front of the battery and sanded the area under it down to the metal. There seems to be a good bit less drain now, I guess I should try the other ground next.

I also don't have keyless entry. I hope someone figures this out soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement