Thoughts on Best fuse panel/Box for complete re-wire of my 1983 Fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By klujaan
  • 1 Post By klujaan
  • 1 Post By klujaan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thoughts on Best fuse panel/Box for complete re-wire of my 1983 Fox

Alright,

My stock under dash fuse panel is cracked, which leads to some interesting electrical issues... The wiring is chopped, corroded, and it's a mess, so I'm going to start over with it...

Just wanting some opinions on the following from those of you that may have already been through this:

1st - How many circuits would you recommend? 12, 18, 21, 22?

The standard box has 18, initially car is street strip but due to an upcoming move may make it more a corner carver as opposed to 1/4 mile as the previous owner built it. Knowing this considering going with a 21 circuit setup to leave room for growth... I have considered 12 circuit setups.

2nd - What Brand would you go with?

Of course Painless just off name recognition - will be custom done by me, but will more than likely get the pre-wired and labelled.

Any feedback on Classic-Technologies brand? Classic Technologies | Welcome

Feedback on EZ Wiring brand? https://www.ezwiring.com/

What about the usual suspects on Amazon and Ebay?

BestEquip - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RGLS8G...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Speedway Motors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IDL6SUS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

maXpeedingrods - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GSS7C2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Mophorn - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07387JW23...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Have also considered just building a panel like this:
this would be cheaper, and would mount on the front side of the rear seat delete that I'm building more than likely, I have the experience and am an Engineer by trade...

Wanting this to be a 1 and done - will pay for the good shielding on the wires, will soider, weatherproof crimp, and protect everything. Will probably run some additional distribution blocks, the one thing I like about the 21/22 circuits is they have relay for Fuel pump already, and mine is currently hacked in...

Let me know your thoughts, and experiences. I will be doing everything on the car, and while I'll get some passes in this fall/Winter down here in Florida, next summer will do this, however I will be doing this before I put nitrous, or anything else that needs better wiring... I guess I'm saying there is a very good chance I may be doing this BEFORE I head back to the track this fall... Redoing the entire fuel system, battle boxes, rear diff, brakes, and alot of other stuff currently, so may just tear into it at this time as well...

Let me know your opinions please!

1983 4 Eye Notch - 347 fixing what previous owner did and attempting to dial it in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2019, 02:56 PM

I just tore out my entire harness from my 89 notchback, and ordered a Ron Francis Express wiring kit. It set me back about $500 but it’s better than those universal harnesses that are all GM based. I did a speedway 12 circuit on my 65 f100 but had a very hard time since it is based on a GM steering Collumn. With Ron Francis they custom make it, so it’s virtually plug and play for everything including, speedometer, turn signals, headlight connections, etc. it’s a badass kit. I didn’t wanna bother messing with the dry rotted rats nest in my 89, so I just bit the bullet and paid for the best. I didn’t wanna have to spend days splicing my factory connecters to a universal wiring harness like I did with my 65... too much extra work. Part # XP-793.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7C840633-D16F-4505-9A5C-16ED78CEB9E9_1562612155032.jpg (95.7 KB, 17 views)
91ntchdream likes this.

El Paso Texas
1989 Notchback stroked 393 on nitrous
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Mustang GT ->daily
91 f150 4x4 5.0 -> off-road toy
post #3 of 5 Old 07-08-2019, 03:01 PM

If your interested call them up. They make a kit for the four eyed Carbureted cars like yours. I’m carbureted as well since mine is mostly a strip car. They told me if I wanted to ever go back to fuel injection that the harness I got with them can support it as well. They take about a week or 2 to make the harness since it is custom made for your exact car. Mine should be arriving sometime this week, so I can get back to you with the install and how it came out.
91ntchdream likes this.

El Paso Texas

2013 Mustang GT ->daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 PM

I went with Ron Francis because a buddy from work installed two on his 69 Fastback and his 62 falcon. He had nothing but good things to say about the kit
91ntchdream likes this.

El Paso Texas

2013 Mustang GT ->daily
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Awesome guys - thank you - the price point is NOT scary for piece of mind, I think I am going to add a switched relay box under the hood for right now - weatherproof of course, and when I pull the engine and either do tube front or smooth fenderwells I will 99% go with Ron Francis setup based on this and other feedback!

Sorry for the delay in responding, didn't get notifications so went and searched for it just now!

1983 4 Eye Notch - 347 fixing what previous owner did and attempting to dial it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement