no taillights / got brake lights - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-18-2003, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
no taillights / got brake lights

Hey guys im in a delema, and i hate to be an electritian on the mustang, but I recently took back my car from the paint shop...

well I got BRAKE LIGHTS, but not tailights... only whe I press the brake I get lights back there... WHAT GIVES?

It was working good after the paint shop.. I dont know what happened...

Anyone knows where and what the specific fuse is?

im stumped!

Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-18-2003, 06:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I had the same thing happen on my Probe. I just checked all the fuses that had something to do with exterior lighting. If you have your owners manual, the fuses locations are all in the back.

Hope That Helps

Nick

.20" over with JE pistons and Manley rods/Deleted Imrc's/Vortech S-trim, 3.25" pulley/BBK longtubes/Custom o-r H-pipe/ Spintech side exhaust/ 50# inj's/Pro-m 80mm/Gss342 intank/T-rex inline/Griggs racing-K-member-front coilovers-Koni Double adjustables all around-Through Floor subframes-Bumpsteer-Torque arm-Adjustable panhard bar-Adjustable lower control arms with Spherical bushings/ Steeda wing/Cobra r's/guages/UPR shifter/ Fluidyne Radiator/Brake ducting/MSD dis-4/AFM powerpipe/
post #3 of 12 Old 02-18-2003, 08:37 PM
P63

Trader Feedback: (15)
Also, if the bulbs are interchangeable, swap a brake bulb with a tail light bulb and to verify whether you just have burned-out bulbs.

Victor Marshall

Copyright 2019.
May be quoted on the Corral. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.

... and the avatar is the UK band The Primitives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-18-2003, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the idea on swapping bulbs, but both of them?!?!?!

thanks for the help guys!
PETE

im going to check and see this bulb situation tomorrow(car is about a mile away in a garage.). It can always be the most simple thing, but I always suspect the worst...

just incase it isnt the bulb thing... where exactly is the fuse located? I had 2 burnt out fuses on the ENGINE BAY fuse box, and they were the top 2 fuse's (I believe 10a), when you look down on the fuse box from the fender, its the top most fuses in that row of them.(top one and the one under it).

Well I just realized yesterday that I also dont have any TURN SIGNAL running lights, I have the TURN SIGNAL itself, but NO RUNNING LIGHT(orange stays on with headlight turned on).

im really ... I checked the ground wire on the turn signals and its on good metal, I even cleaned the metal further, with no change. I also put in new 15a fuses at both locations, with no change in anything either!

WHAT GIVES!?!???!?!?

help!
STUMPED in NY
post #5 of 12 Old 02-18-2003, 10:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Check all the fuses that are underneath the dash too.... you never know what fuse does what

.20" over with JE pistons and Manley rods/Deleted Imrc's/Vortech S-trim, 3.25" pulley/BBK longtubes/Custom o-r H-pipe/ Spintech side exhaust/ 50# inj's/Pro-m 80mm/Gss342 intank/T-rex inline/Griggs racing-K-member-front coilovers-Koni Double adjustables all around-Through Floor subframes-Bumpsteer-Torque arm-Adjustable panhard bar-Adjustable lower control arms with Spherical bushings/ Steeda wing/Cobra r's/guages/UPR shifter/ Fluidyne Radiator/Brake ducting/MSD dis-4/AFM powerpipe/
post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2003, 10:16 PM

Its a fuse. I have had this happen more than once. Just pull all the fuses and Im sure you will find a blown one. I have an extra headlight switch that I bought before I checked the fuses.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2003, 10:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I don't think it's the fuse thats the problem. The tail light and stoplight are probably the same bulb ( double element bulb ). Since you're getting brakelights, the power is there!

My suggestion is to try a new Headlight Switch. That would tell the tail lights and side markers lights to come on with the headlights! Since those aren't coming on when you put the headlights on, there is probably a short in the switch.

Try wiggling and twisting the headlight knob while the headlights are one and see what happens, otherwise go to Autozone or any local autoparts store and get a new one.

Hope this helped!

Gary
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2003, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

ya sure all help helps! I appreciate all help, even if its just someone telling me CHECK THE BULB or CHECK A FUSE, its still help I appreciate.

Now for the headlight switch!

BUILT FORD TOUGH MY FOOT!!!

I barely every drive the car, hardly ever at nights that I need to use the switch... I only have 37,000 -original- miles on the car... so this sucks when I probably put only a few thousand at night, and barely used the dam switch!

now if its the headlight switch, how some I can dim the lights, and the dashboard, but everything else its toast?

ya I tried the wiggling thing plenty of times! no dice!

How much do these switches cost?

Well I was going to have to take apart my bezel anyway to re-adjust my tach/guages since they are WAY WAY WAY off since the new installation of guage faces.

What is the procedure to this mess?

thanks!

PETE
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2003, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE!

CHECKED ALL FUSES they all good...

So i broke down and went to STRAUSS(first time they had something I needed in stock!) and bought a headlight switch!

THANK GOD ITS FIXED!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

Problem-HEADLIGHT SWITCH!

Now only if I can reset my ABS and take that damn light off!

lol

THANKS AGAIN!
PETE
post #10 of 12 Old 02-19-2003, 10:38 PM

I had the exact same problem, but my switch was fine, I had replace the whole harness!!

I wish I could've helped you earlier.....

Looks like you have a nice Cobra by the sounds of it!

94 GT
post #11 of 12 Old 02-20-2003, 12:52 AM

I've went through three switches now in the 18 months i've owned my stang for this exact problem.
J.R.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-20-2003, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

NO PROBLEM all help is always appreciated, whenever I get a chance I try to help out if I have any kind of clue of what it can be!

I love CORRAL, and the guys on it...

This kind of sucks, why do these switches have such a wierd curcuit board... I mean I had juice to the headlights, but the COMMON ground to the TAILS and MARKERS was not in contact...

I barely ever use this friggin switch! and if I do, its a simply easy push/pull operation!

I just couldnt believe my neighborhood STRAUSS actually had the switch for $18! They usually dont have ANYTHING i need, not even the correct motor oil!

Well its time to take apart the intake off my car tomorrow and install that baffle that I never figured out why the SYSTEMAX intake actually have that plate with the kit! NOW I FIGURED IT OUT THE HARD WAY! Hopefully no more oil consumption!

Pete

on a side note... the 2002 is going and has to go for $17,000, $1.5k off! BUYING HOUSE! NEED CLOSING COSTS COVERED ASAP! MY LOSS YOUR GAIN! 5,400 miles! IN STORAGE!

Last edited by yellow5.0cobra; 02-20-2003 at 01:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement