Damaged Fuse Box / Power Distribution Harness - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-21-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Damaged Fuse Box / Power Distribution Harness

2003 GT coupe

I am installing my Kenne Bell supercharger. Needed to add a power line to the positive lug on the fuse box / power distribution terminal. Gave the nut a solid turn and heard the thing crack. The lug has definitely been tweaked / twisted. I am expecting the worse case scenario. I am a few steps away from needing to get power flowing. Figured I would be prepared because I am almost certain that fuse box is toast now.

There is a 2002 GT convertible at a local pick n pull. Are the fuse boxes and power distribution cable assemblies the same for hard tops and convertibles?

I am also wondering if this harness is the same for V6 and V8 models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 12:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
you will want to verify fuse location and pin out

ford changes everything year to year

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I know that I am not the fist one that has had this happen to. Hopefully someone that has gone through this can chime in. I would imagine that for the new edge, it would be pretty consistent. just don't know about about coupe to vert on this harness...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 02:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
you will need the exact replacement

they don't plug and play year to year, and sometimes not even in the same year

even if would get one from the dealer, which you cannot

you still want to make sure it is correct, pin for pin

you only get one chance to let the smoke out

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGT1 View Post
There is a 2002 GT convertible at a local pick n pull. Are the fuse boxes and power distribution cable assemblies the same for hard tops and convertibles?

Try this. Go to car-part.com and search for the part in question. This will bring up a list of salvage yards in your area with the part in question. Make note of the other cars models and years that come up in the list. This will give you a good idea of what other models and years will interchange with the part in question. This will also give an idea of the cost and availability of the part needed.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGT1 View Post
2003 GT coupe

I am installing my Kenne Bell supercharger. Needed to add a power line to the positive lug on the fuse box / power distribution terminal. Gave the nut a solid turn and heard the thing crack. The lug has definitely been tweaked / twisted. I am expecting the worse case scenario. I am a few steps away from needing to get power flowing. Figured I would be prepared because I am almost certain that fuse box is toast now.

I don't know if the 2003 fusebox is EXACTLY the same, but I am using a similar one to retrofit my 85 GT and get rid of the factory fusible links. The one I used looks like the same shape, but it looks like the fuse layout is different, but maybe the bus bar is similar. The bolt isn't held in by the plastic. It is held by 2 metal tabs on the bus bar. You may have snapped one or both of the tabs. If there's enough slack in the wires, you can pull the fuse box out of the metal bracket and on the bottom is a cover with 2 screws that covers the bus bar.

Option 1 would be to get a similar fuse box out of the junk yard and carefully swap the bus bar.

Option 2 carefully label everything. On the top side, under the relays and fuses are red plastic lock strips. If you carefully pull all of these out, you can take a very small (jeweler) flat tip and release the locks and pull every wire out and then swap to better fuse box. (this is the OCD option, not for the faint of heart)

Option 3 (not my recommendation) take the bus bar out and JB weld or something similar the bolt in place. I would tighten the bolt first so it is completely tight against the bus bar.

Option 1 would be the best way I think. Forgive my crappy Paint 3D drawing, but the 4th pic shows the bus bar out and the bolt locking tabs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180916_104538.jpg (52.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180916_104530.jpg (74.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180916_104523.jpg (60.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180916_104544.jpg (62.0 KB, 8 views)
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a replacement from MPS Auto Salvage. These guys specialize in mustangs. Really good place to work with and I got a great price that included shipping from Georgia to California. I highly recommend them, MPS Auto Salvage - your best resource for Ford Mustang Parts New and Used Ford Mustang parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement