Setting up my Sniper - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-24-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Setting up my Sniper

I have a 91 LX that is currently running carb on a 408

I am using the hot key on/when cranking wire (I believe it is red green) in the plug by the brake booster for my coil (91 and up only have the one plug there).

That is the only wire I can find that is hot when cranking.

I will need a hot when cranking to trigger the sniper, any thoughts as to where I can find it? I assume the one wire that is hot in the ignition switch will be the same wire that i hooked to in the engine bay.

1991 Notch, 408W, TKO 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
91 had to come with hot in crank

ign
fuel pump
starter
ecm

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-24-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Let's get out of the way first that I have no business touching wiring as I cannot seem to 'get it'...

With that said, which one of those 4 did I hook into for coil? It is the red/green wire in the one connector by the booster.

Just based on logic, I assume the one I used is Ignition.

ECM key on crank would logically be in the kick panel area where ECM was?

Starter I don't think I can use, as that would be the crank on only solenoid trigger?

Fuel pump, with the harness and ECM gone I believe that to be an incomplete circuit now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-24-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muswagon3 View Post
Let's get out of the way first that I have no business touching wiring as I cannot seem to 'get it'...

With that said, which one of those 4 did I hook into for coil? It is the red/green wire in the one connector by the booster.

Just based on logic, I assume the one I used is Ignition.

ECM key on crank would logically be in the kick panel area where ECM was?

Starter I don't think I can use, as that would be the crank on only solenoid trigger?

Fuel pump, with the harness and ECM gone I believe that to be an incomplete circuit now

I dont have wiring diagram in front of me

Why dont you look at yours, and verify what you used

post #5 of 12 Old 05-24-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a wiring diagram, and would not know how to read one if I did.

If I determine that I used ignition, where would I find the EEC power wire if the EEC harness is gone.

The other two I believe are non starters...no pun intended

post #6 of 12 Old 05-25-2018, 02:35 AM

'Some people just don't understand wiring, or whatever their subject of trouble is and genuinely need a helping hand. That is the reason forums were created in the first place. Not to be a kingdom of holding knowledge hostage to fill whatever massive hole is in you.'

your original c/p

since you are an expert on the reason why these forums were created in the first place.

wait for the answers to come flying in......

post #7 of 12 Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

No one answers on Corral anymore anyway. You take over every forum, you try and make everyone look stupid, and you speak in riddles.

The really frustrating part is you do know your stuff but you cannot get out of your way from being an absolute knob.

When I did my 5 lug swap, I was more than happy to pass it forward on the facebook fox pages. When I did my cobra steering rack swap, I was excited to share how I did it, part numbers, cheapest places to buy the parts and my results. Whether people take my noobie advice is up to them, but I didn't tease anyone with the answers that I learned both from forums and on my own.

I simply do not and cannot understand wiring. There has to be something you are unable to learn or that you struggle with Indy (other than being a decent, normal person).

post #8 of 12 Old 05-25-2018, 01:51 PM

The’re only riddles, if you dont learn the concept, dont blame me for your short comings

You lack the desire to learn, yet want to work on your own car, that is a riddle.

Wanna face book? .>>>>>>door, have at her

I dont tease anyone, and i dont harbor answers, i give advice on how to learn and do it yourself.....DIY

You wanna post data on 5 lug pricing, all the power to ya, to me that is useless info

Wanna learn, priceless

Keep bringing the insults, your type just become a flash here,,,,flash! Ahah, saviour of the universe!!

Great queen song....

post #9 of 12 Old 05-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Please call me Mike

Trader Feedback: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muswagon3 View Post
I have a 91 LX that is currently running carb on a 408

I am using the hot key on/when cranking wire (I believe it is red green) in the plug by the brake booster for my coil (91 and up only have the one plug there).

That is the only wire I can find that is hot when cranking.

I will need a hot when cranking to trigger the sniper, any thoughts as to where I can find it? I assume the one wire that is hot in the ignition switch will be the same wire that i hooked to in the engine bay.
Depending on how much current it needs you might be able to use that same wire. If it needs more I would setup a relay off the soliniod. Use the cranking wire to activate the relay.

There arenÂ’t many wires that stay live while cranking. I had trouble finding one in my past projects.

84K 88 LX Vert 5spd: 3.73s.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
is that just a trigger wire to tell the ecu when to provide extra cranking fuel or IAC activity? If so, that wire is okay. If it is used to power an accessory, you should use a relay.

post #11 of 12 Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It needs to stay hot on and crank.

Holley emailed back, said if my only choice is the 'dirty' coil wire, I can still use it but use a relay, I think that is one of your responses.

Secondly, if I use the solenoid trigger to activate a relay that is hard wired (I think that is what you are saying), will it not power off when not cranking?

I worked a little with relays when I was wiring up electric fans, I don't fully understand but I get the general jist.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-25-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
The’re only riddles, if you dont learn the concept, dont blame me for your short comings

You lack the desire to learn, yet want to work on your own car, that is a riddle.

Wanna face book? .>>>>>>door, have at her

I dont tease anyone, and i dont harbor answers, i give advice on how to learn and do it yourself.....DIY

You wanna post data on 5 lug pricing, all the power to ya, to me that is useless info

Wanna learn, priceless

Keep bringing the insults, your type just become a flash here,,,,flash! Ahah, saviour of the universe!!

Great queen song....
I really don't know I am replying to you, because you don't seem to understand my point. I taught myself to do an engine swap, tranny swap, exhaust, all suspension and etc. What I cannot seem to get my head around is wiring. It is not a lack of desire to learn, it is a white flag saying I cannot seem to get it. You treat anyone that is not smart enough to learn a certain subject quite badly, I am willing to try anything even if I don't fully understand it. I thought that was the whole point on old cars.

for the record, my join date is around 1998, various email changes over the years and that is the result.

I am impressed that you took time away from pulling wings off of flies to continue our banter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement