How do I measure alternator output? and does it affect fuel pump if volts are low? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2002, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Unhappy How do I measure alternator output? and does it affect fuel pump if volts are low?

Do I measure the output at the battery or at the alternator itself (or should they be the same?).
I was getting the batt light so I replaced my alternator brushes because they were destroyed. It still has output issues (batt light goes on and off) but it is better than it was. I think it is causing me to run lean under boost (detonation with LOW timing) if the alternator output is not supplying the fuel pump well enough. Anyone think this is a good hypothesis? It should read like 13.5 volts at the batt at idle right??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2002, 02:38 PM

I'm thinking that voltage could be read at the battery while amperage can be measured at the alternator. Guess it depends on what you are wanting to read. If you are not getting enough voltage/current to the fuel pump it could cause you to run lean. Kinda along the principles on the Kenne Belle BAP (Boost A Pump). The KB BAP boost voltage/current to the pump in order to increase flow.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2002, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

That's what I'm thinking, like a reverse BAP. The car runs fine until 4k rpm then detonates. My timing is super low, 93 octane, and only 5psi in 30 degree weather!!!
I will be funny if I replace the alternator and the detonation goes away. It would be nice though too so can run the timing at a level that will make power. So, I think measuring voltage at the batt at idle should work? between 12-14 volts should be normal I expect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2002, 03:26 PM

Ya exactly. I would think it would act like a reverse BAP.

Shouldn't you be able to tell the voltage on the battery by the gauge in the car? As far as alternators, if you think it is suspect, go to someplace like Autozone or Pep Boys and have it checked free of charge.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2002, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

the guage bounces right now erratically. I will try to measure output and then maybe get it checked too. I was hoping the brushes would fix it but I may just get a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement