Tap into dimmer rheostat for aftermarket gauge lighting - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Tap into dimmer rheostat for aftermarket gauge lighting

To whom it may concern:

I have looked through my Haynes manual and have spent a couple hours searching the forums. I''ve found several wiring diagrams and threads with the same topic; just not sure that I've found the best answer yet.

I've added a pair of Autometer gauges and would like to wire the gauge bulbs so they dim with the factory '86 Mustang/Capri dimmer rheostat.

My questions are:
1: What color is the wire that I can tap into for rheostat dimmable power for my gauges (for an '86)? From what I have read, it looks like Light Blue with a Red stripe?
2: Would it be better to add a fuse tap off of 5A fuse "13/Instrument Illumination" in the fuse box rather than tapping into the wire between the rheostat and factory gauges?
3: What gauge wire should I use?
4: Ok to just run the Autometer gauge ground wire to a suitable chassis ground or should I ground to the O.E. gauge ground wire?

'86 Capri RS; G-Force/Hanlon T-5; Ram HDX Clutch, QuickTime SFI Bellhousing; MM Clutch Cable Kit; '87-'93 Spindles, Brakes & Struts; SSBC Rear Disk Brake Kit; BBK Long-tube headers & X-pipe; Flowmaster Mufflers; A/C Elim.; 17x9 Cobra R Wheels; March UD Pulleys; 12 Deg. Timing; 190lph FP; 3:73s'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryFox50 View Post
My questions are:
1: What color is the wire that I can tap into for rheostat dimmable power for my gauges (for an '86)? From what I have read, it looks like Light Blue with a Red stripe?
2: Would it be better to add a fuse tap off of 5A fuse "13/Instrument Illumination" in the fuse box rather than tapping into the wire between the rheostat and factory gauges?
3: What gauge wire should I use?
4: Ok to just run the Autometer gauge ground wire to a suitable chassis ground or should I ground to the O.E. gauge ground wire?
1: Light blue with the red stripe is correct.
2: For a few gauges I would just tap into the light blue with red wire in a convenient spot.
3: I would lean toward 16 gauge. 14 Gauge would be be overkill.
4: Any suitable chassis ground will work.

Regards,
Craig
[email protected] at Milan,3450#...
Dynojet'd 286rwhp/331rwtq Stock Cam, GT40 Irons
post #3 of 5 Old 12-29-2017, 11:50 PM

Bonus Round: Autometer sells blue bulb covers for incandescent bulbs that give the gauges a nicer look at night. I tried some blue and green LEDs, but they were too dark. Edit: Sorry 'bout the 90* spin on the image. It was correct on my phone...SMH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 178384B3-BB44-4EB3-9DB1-D3A914DF0A12.jpg (103.1 KB, 15 views)

Regards,
Craig
[email protected] at Milan,3450#...
Dynojet'd 286rwhp/331rwtq Stock Cam, GT40 Irons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-30-2017, 12:10 PM

if you use the existing fuse protection for the bulb circuit

you must use the same wire that is there

the fuse is to protect the wire.........if you use a smaller wire, you will have a fire, if it were to short.

if you plan to use a dedicated fuse

you size the wire to the load and the fuse to the wire, that is how you do it.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-30-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thank you for the information Indy2000 and 90trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement