Wiring issues 1992 lx - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-06-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Wiring issues 1992 lx

I'm working on rebuilding my 92lx and I've run into some electrical issues that I'm trying to figure out. The car was my track car for years it's been off the street going on 16 now. Here's the link to my build thread.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/memb...ain-build.html

When I turned the car into a track car I got rid of the headlights and removed allot of the connectors from the dash harness that I didn't need. When I started my rebuild I knew I need to get a replacement headlight harness and dash harness. So I got a Ron Francis headlight harness and a dash harness for a 92 mustang. I was lucky enough to find a harness that had the same part number as the one that came out of my car. The dash harness looks in great shape so I'm pretty sure it is working fine. I was lucky enough to get the dash harness diagrams from a member on here thenemesis which is a big help

The problems I'm running into has to do with the signal marker lights and the windshield wipers. When I turn on my head lights the first click should turn on the marker lights but nothing happens with the front lights the second click turns on the head lights and they work fine. If I turn on the turn signals the inside maker light blinks fine on the left and the right. If I turn on the hazard lights only the inside maker lights blink. My first though was I had a bad headlight switch since the marker lights wouldn't turn on so I replaced it but it didn't fix the problem. I found that the tail lights all work fine. The next thing I checked was the windshield wipers I found they only work when turned to high no other setting will make them work.

So now I'm trying to formulate a plan for testing everything out so I can get to the bottom of what's happening. So far I tested all the fuses in the car and did some quick checks to see if my connections are good. I looked all over the harness to see if I was missing any grounds and they all look connected. I don't have the main alternator power lines connected right now I have to replace the connector since I have a 90amp alternator. I did some research and it appears the hazard and blinkers are on different circuits so I'm guess the running lights are on there own circuit for when you turn on the headlights using the headlight switch. The first thing I was going to test was the ignition switch from my research it sounds like it can cause allot of problems with the lights and windshield wipers. I was also planning on testing the voltages to start tracing it towards the front of the car to see where it gets lost. The car is an LX so I don't have fog lights I know some people have had allot of issues with them in the past. If anyone has other things I should look at or try let me know. I have a good volt meter and test light plus allot of jumpers if needed. I would prefer not to open up the harness but I will if it comes down to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
My 92lx did a similar thing, turned out to be nothing more than ground wires not being hooked up.

For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-20-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostup89 View Post
My 92lx did a similar thing, turned out to be nothing more than ground wires not being hooked up.
I think might know what is going on with my wiring. I haven't tested it yet but I think the problem is how I have the battery ground. When the car was only on the street the battery was in the stock position with the factory connections. When I turned it into a race car I moved the battery to behind the passenger seat which is where I plan to keep it. When i moved the battery I used 1/0 welding cable and ran it to the engine block and that was it. I never ran a ground from the battery terminal to the chassis. The only connection I have that goes to the chassis is the grounding strap on the back of the motor. After doing allot research there appears to be two ways of going about it. You can run the ground from the battery to the engine block then run another ground from the battery to the chassis. The other way I have seen is running the ground from the battery terminal using a 1/0 cable to the chassis then from the block to the chassis using another 1/0 cable connection. I'm going to get some time on Sunday to test it out. I have some ground wire so I'm going to keep my connection to the block from the battery and just add a chassis ground from the battery to see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

So I found the problem it wasn't the ground it was the Ron Francis headlight harness. There were two wires in the wrong places as you can see in the picture the blue and the brown are swapped. The brown line is for the running lights.

So that was pretty annoying to find but at least it was an easy fix. So if you buy a Ron Francis harness make sure the put the wires in the right places if you run into problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement