Anyone rewire their 01-04 TC/defrost/fog light switches for other use? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By MoDriver
  • 1 Post By MoDriver
  • 1 Post By SVT 98

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-15-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Anyone rewire their 01-04 TC/defrost/fog light switches for other use?

I have a 98 and am planning on installing a double DIN radio. I bought the required 01-04 trim piece, and would like to utilize at least one of the available switches in front of the shifter.
My question is, which wires do I use for power, ground, illumination etc?
I've read that the Defrost switch is a momentary switch, which is of no use to me right now. What about the defrost and TC? Are they both momentary as well?
I will be installing a line lock kit very shortly, and will have the button on the shifter. However, I would like to use a switch to interrupt the power on the line lock, so it can only be activated when said switch is on. For this task, a momentary switch won't cut it.
The traction control switch would be a perfect one to use, but not sure if it will work. Which year uses the spinning tire icon?

I guess if I really have to, I can put the blanks in and pick my own switch to put in a blank, but I'd rather have the OEM appearance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

No one here has done anything like this?

post #3 of 12 Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Not sure if it pertains to your situation, but I did a search one time to use buttons on the steering wheel to activate od lockup, I'm sure it can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm just kind of looking for any ideas.
Any idea for use of a momentary switch?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-21-2017, 10:49 AM

As long as you hold down a momentary switch, won't it keep the circuit open/closed? I cant think of many, nitrous purge maybe?
post #6 of 12 Old 09-23-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Yes, that's how the momentary works.
It seems the TC and Defrost button are both momentary switches. I assume the fog light is a "normal" switch, but already have a fog switch so I'd like to resuse it for something else. Just not sure what yet.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-23-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have the pinout for the 3 switches by the shifter for 02-04s?
I'd like to know which is the power wire etc.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Garage
This might come in handy:
DIY: Converting 94-00 Style Defroster/Fog Switches to 01+ Style
SN95Source.com

It seems that the rear defroster switches have a relay. The earlier ones are built in and the later ones used an external relay. If you could get the later one and use the external relay for the defrost then the earlier defrost (w/relay) might be handy to use to "initiate" the line lock if the rela is sufficient. I believe that defrosters are supposed to stay on until they reach a certain temp or time.
SVT 98 likes this.

1998 Mustang Cobra Black/Black 6-Speed Magnum transmission
[Sold]
post #9 of 12 Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDriver View Post
This might come in handy:
DIY: Converting 94-00 Style Defroster/Fog Switches to 01+ Style
SN95Source.com

It seems that the rear defroster switches have a relay. The earlier ones are built in and the later ones used an external relay. If you could get the later one and use the external relay for the defrost then the earlier defrost (w/relay) might be handy to use to "initiate" the line lock if the rela is sufficient. I believe that defrosters are supposed to stay on until they reach a certain temp or time.

Nice thank you.
Now I need the pinout for the TC. I'd like to use it for line lock.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Garage
Your welcome, let me see if I can try to help a little here.

The Traction Control Switch (TCS) I have is PN: YC1T-2C418-AB
(I believe that the other numbers on the part refer to piece parts of the assembly and/or the "form factor" model)
There is a posting on SVT Performance that may be of some help:
https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...n-sn95.678395/

They seemed to have found the diagram (see attached)!

I also took a picture of the TCS connection pins (see attached as well). You night want to look at it upside down when looking at how the diagram is represented. But, I do see Pins 3 and 5 are omitted since they aren't used. If you have the pigtails then you could see if the colors match up as well.

I should note that the connectors for all three switches in the bezel trim are keyed differently (I imagine it is so that they don't get plugged into the wrong switch ). So, keep that in mind if you are trying to source the pigtails.

Hope this helps!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diagram.jpg (223.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg TCS-Switch-Pins.jpg (148.9 KB, 5 views)
SVT 98 likes this.

[Sold]
post #11 of 12 Old 11-13-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have the 3 pigtails, just need a couple of the switches.

That diagram above is a big help. Matches up perfectly with a gray plug pigtail I have. That must mean the pink plug is for the fogs.

Thanks again man! That's just what I was looking for.

Did you swap a double din in your 98 as well? What did you do with the buttons?
MoDriver likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-14-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
Glad to help!

I did not end up doing the double-DIN swap as I sold my 98 Cobra before I got to it. However, I have the trim bezel, switches, buttons, and a Mach460 as well.

I had already swapped my center console from a 2004 which allowed me to relocate the 98 Cobra Foglight switch to the coin holder (closer to the shifter) which was an improvement. I was considering to use the new Double-DIN location for the defrost and get a latter gage surround to omit the 98 Cobra defrost switch. Since a 1998 Cobra doesn't have Traction control, I would have some alternate uses later. I suppose I could have used a second foglight switch as a high beam override, but it seems a little excessive (and might be interesting for an inspector to find).

As somewhat of a sidenote, it seems that all three buttons are each keyed to fit their own location in the double-DIN bezel. However, I suppose if you took them apart you could swap labeled part of the butting that you actually push (at least if their all the same brand). This could really mess with some folks, but if you are trying to repurpose parts then it might be handy to check out.

[Sold]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement