Oxygen sensor extension harness. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2002, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Oxygen sensor extension harness.

I need to extend the wires to my oxygen sensors because of my longtubes. I bought the Oxygen sensor extension harness kit from Mustangs Unlimited, but it came without directions. Could anybody explain to me how to do this? Thanks, Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2002, 12:43 PM

Send it back?

I understand that O2 sensors are commonly available in various wire lengths, up to ~18".

I wish I'd known that before I lengthened mine......

kevin

Fairmont-less
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2002, 12:52 PM

If you take the time to Pull O2 wires from plastic loom and reroute them to the passenger side of car, the stock harness is long enough to reach. Loop drivers side 02 harness over top of tranny. This keeps the true 02 voltage needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I've already tried to re-route my harness, but mine has a wire that plugs into the oil pan, which prevents me from stretching the wires long enough. Also, I might as well use the extension harness since I bought it like a year ago and no longer have the reciept. Can anyone give me directions? Thanks, Brad
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2002, 01:40 PM

I also ran into that problem with the harness. I got my extention from Downs and man that thing is long!! Mine was a universal extention so you have to line up the 02 sensor and the harnes and shave off the guides on the extetion that are not needed. They are the pertruding plastic guide thingies for lack of a more technical term. Ones these are shaved off simply plug the extention in. I would not recommend using any after market o2 sensors...I tried those and they suck!! Got Check engine codes after 2 months. Switched to Motorcraft and no problems. Only use Motorcaraft and make shure they are calibrated for your car. Calibration code should be on your door jam drivers side.

~chuck~

93 Hatch, R331 - TFS "Street Heat" Aluminum Heads - S-Trim 15lbs of Boost - Holley Systemax Intake - Anderson Power Pipe - Aeromotive Fuel system - 72 lb injectors - Accel DFI Gen VII - Snow Performance Boost Cooler - 661 RWHP Full interior - 10.70's @ 135 w/ traction issues!!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-02-2002, 01:40 PM

Cut the wire to the oilpan at about the mid point then reattach it and solder it up after you reroute the wires.It's just for the low oil sensor .That's the way i did it and have had no problems in the 3 years i've been running longtubes.

Big as life and twice as ugly!!
post #7 of 9 Old 01-02-2002, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

So, nojuice, you're saying all you did was cut the wire to the oil pan and make it longer? That sounds a whole heck of a lot easier than what I'm trying to do. I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks, Brad
post #8 of 9 Old 01-02-2002, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I forgot to ask, what gauge is the wire going to the oil pan? Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-03-2002, 02:32 PM

You won't have to add any wire to that piece,once you have the rest of the bundle re-routed that piece can be reconnected.Something I hadn't thought of at the time I did mine ,is that you could just crimp male -female plug ends to this wire and tape them up when you are done ,that way you can easily disconnect them if you have to take any thing apart at a later date.

Big as life and twice as ugly!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement