Foxbody Engine harness identification - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By vlzstallion
  • 1 Post By ashleyroachclip
  • 1 Post By ashleyroachclip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Question Foxbody Engine harness identification

Hey guys I created this thread a couple days ago and it said that the moderators had to approve it. Well its been 2 days and I have yet to see it so I just want to make sure that I didn't mess something up when submitting it.

Im wiring a 5.0 in my 1989 Mazda RX7 and have come across a few plugs that I can't figure out where they go or what they even are. Im also simplifying this harness as much as possible.

By the way I have been using the wiring diagrams off of very useful in order to identify as much as possible and I have even gone as far as to test each pin in the ECU trying to determine what these are.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.
  • Photo number 1 is all the way at the end of the harness, I believe the one to be the EEC ground? I am completely unsure of what the others may be and if they are needed,
  • Photo number 2 is right near the ECU itself, the first one I believe to be the actual EEC relay and the second one which is the green plug I believe goes up into the dash and will not be used in my setup.
  • Photo number 3 shows the EGR and both air management solenoid plugs. All three of these I assume are unused and can be removed. There is a forth plug with this group that I was unable to identify.
  • Photo number 4 shows two plugs, one black and one gray. These plugs are near the self test ports and don't seem to show on any diagram that I look at. I assume these are a option from a certain year and replace the 8 pin brown plug? If thats the case I won't be needing either of these as well.
  • Photo number 5 is showing a square plug that is near the O2 harness plug in. Again I have no idea what this one is or if its needed at all.

Thank you all again for any help you can provide. I greatly appreciate any info.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (77.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (53.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (60.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (118.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg wiring5.jpg (61.0 KB, 17 views)

1989 Mazda RX-7
Ford 302 with T-5 Swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just incase anyone is interested in what I'm actually building. The car should be a lot of fun on the street but will mostly see track days for drifting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rx2.jpg (76.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg rx1.jpg (69.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg rx3.jpg (70.6 KB, 11 views)

1989 Mazda RX-7
Ford 302 with T-5 Swap
post #3 of 9 Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
1 - the connector is the factory coil plug and not sure exactly what the others are to. most likely go to positive terminal on starter solenoid
2- correct thats the eec relay and the green plug is an unlock/window plug
3-the 4th plug is the a/c low pressure switch connector
4&5 not too sure aswell on those, Iím sure some guys on here know exactly though

cool project!!
jmande likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-14-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlzstallion View Post
1 - the connector is the factory coil plug and not sure exactly what the others are to. most likely go to positive terminal on starter solenoid
2- correct thats the eec relay and the green plug is an unlock/window plug
3-the 4th plug is the a/c low pressure switch connector
4&5 not too sure aswell on those, Iím sure some guys on here know exactly though

cool project!!
Thank you for the info, Im not sure why I even asked about that connector since Ive actually already head it plugged into the MSD box and knew it went to the coil. I was going off of memory just from the photos.

Either way thank you for the information. I need to learn more about that EEC relay and see how it works and if its needed I guess.

Out of this group ill go ahead and remove that A/C switch and the green window plug.

Thanks again.
Jon

1989 Mazda RX-7
Ford 302 with T-5 Swap
post #5 of 9 Old 02-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The two closest to your thumb are grounds .
You will need the eec relay , don't remove .
jmande likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyroachclip View Post
The two closest to your thumb are grounds .
You will need the eec relay , don't remove .
Thank you for the help, Any idea if the third one is the same? I do remember seeing somewhere that theres a 20 gauge fused link to starter relay, I wasn't sure if that was it?

Also the second one I believe in my hand has a extension piece that I somehow missed previously. Heres a photo of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32544527850_570292d479_z.jpg (54.3 KB, 13 views)

1989 Mazda RX-7
Ford 302 with T-5 Swap
post #7 of 9 Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
off hand , I believe that goes to the a/c compressor .
In the picture I referenced , the wire with the eye end is battery side of solenoid .
jmande likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you so much for the help. Eyelet on the left side is the EEC ground then and the one on the right is the one you're referring to that goes to the battery side of the solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32801405791_b403bf0e76_z.jpg (57.6 KB, 8 views)

1989 Mazda RX-7
Ford 302 with T-5 Swap
post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can anyone possibly shed some light on the voltage regulator wiring and where it connects? Ive been looking at a few photos and on my harness in the "A" slot there are two wires extending out for some reason.

Also I'm trying to figure out where the "I" wire connects. It says to the key switch or accessory? Does it connect to one of the posts on the starter relay or something?

Thanks again for everyones help.

1989 Mazda RX-7
Ford 302 with T-5 Swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement