1994 Mustang - is there an A/C or Ignition relay ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-21-2003, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
1994 Mustang - is there an A/C or Ignition relay ?

On my 94 I only have 1 problem left to fix in the electrical system....even when the car is off there are a number of components that still work. The A/c must have the knob in the off position of else it will work without the key in, and all the fuses under the hood still have power with the key off and out. Any idea? is there an ignition relay that could be sticking (a/c or a general key on ignition relay? open to all ideas, could really use the help. thanks

michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-21-2003, 04:01 PM

There IS an A/C relay. I'm not sure where it is on the 94 but on my 93 it's just in front of the passenger strut tower just under the MAF.. I just had the same problem with my fuel pump and it turned out to be the relay. They are both in the same spot. Just be sure that you have the right one.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-21-2003, 04:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by dpellegr
There IS an A/C relay.
Actually, this is the WOT relay. It should not be energized with the key off.

IMHO, if there are several components that have power that should not, the ignition cylinder needs to be looked at, not individual relays.

84 GT and 85 GT convertible - http://community.webshots.com/user/puter_pics
carbedMustang Mailing List Owner - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/carbedMustang/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-21-2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

The a/c works still, but the other components do shut down (windows, radio, rear defrost, etc). However, the fuse box under the hood has power. so do you think go for the relay first? Do you know where it is located? Thanks for the help
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2003, 08:32 AM

Define "A/C still works", please. Do you mean the blower fan is still running? As I mentioned, the only relay with A/C is the WOT (Wide Open Throttle) relay. What this does is disconnect power to the compressor when the CPU (EEC) has a WOT signal.

You should have power with the key off and out at the fusebox. There are circuits (horn, hood light, radio clock, etc) that have power all the time.

carbedMustang Mailing List Owner - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/carbedMustang/
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2003, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

ok..

Sorry i did not make it clear, what i mean by the A/C works is that the fan can be turned on and it will blow air out. When i shut the car off i have to make sure before i lock up that i dont leave the climate control setting in anything but the off position or else you can hear the fans or defroster blowing. Thanks for the help, I'm lost on this one, i appreciate it.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-22-2003, 01:33 PM

Re: ok..

Quote:
Originally posted by Reger99GT
When i shut the car off i have to make sure before i lock up that i dont leave the climate control setting in anything but the off position or else you can hear the fans or defroster blowing.
Only in the "NORM" and "MAX" A/C positions, or any positions? If any positions, it has nothing to do with the A/C at all. What about fan speed? Does it matter if the fan speed is on low, medium, or high? Or does the fan keep turning in all of them?

I would think it is the climate control switch's function to supply 12V to the fan speed selector. I'm guessing here. I'd have to trace that down in my Chiltons. Do you have a Chiltons/Haynes to trace electrical? Unfortunately, electrical diagrams are not the easiest to read. I'll try to take a look at the diagram tonight.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-22-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

The fan will blow in any setting (floor, mix, max a/c, a/c, vent), the only setting that makes the fan not blow is when it is set in the off position. The fan can blow on hi, med, or lo for any of the options (floor, mix, a/c etc.) I really appreciate the help

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement