Fog lights for 1995 GTS - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-20-2003, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Fog lights for 1995 GTS

I have a 95 GTS, it didn't come with fog lights. I bought a pair and installed them the other day. The factory fog light power wires were clipped right to the bumper and seem to go right into the headlight wiring harness.

What I need to know is has anyone installed fogs using the factory harness on a car that didn't come with the lights? If so then what else do you need to buy to power them? I know I need a switch, but do I need any other wiring harnesses or will they work after I install the switch?

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-21-2003, 01:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
There's a relay box (mounts in the engine bay) that you'll need to pick up in addition to the switch. You should be able to get one quite inexpensively. GTS's are fully wired from the factory just like the GT's, so most of the options like fogs can be easily added(except for OEM anti-theft, but I digress...). HTH.

Former rides: '67 coupe, '68 coupe, '67 fastback, '95 GTS, Wingless Kona Blue '96 Cobra
Current: '94 GT "Project Bucket"
post #3 of 9 Old 01-21-2003, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Bullittgts, can I just get the relay from Ford? Is it just called a Fog Light Relay? Where abouts in the engine compartment is it so I can find the wiring to plug it into? What about the switch, I took my console out and there was an extra plug near the emergency brake, is that for the Fogs? Does it plug right into the switch or do I need to get the other kind of plug with a pig tail?

ANY help you can give me is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-21-2003, 06:20 PM

Here is a link to a thread from a while back when I was trying to find out more info. If you're not afraid to try a little wiring, this could be a good alternative to the Ford module.

The plug you found is indeed the fog light plug. Just plug into that plug, bolt on the fog light brackets, plug them into the plugs that should be hanging there. You said they were "clipped right to the bumper". Do you mean that someone cut the wires all the way back to the bumper, or were they somehow stowed up and out of the way? If they were cut, just take the fog light to an auto electric shop and tell them you need the connector for this, then wire it in. If the plugs and wires are intact, just bolt on, plug in and go.

As for the relay, you're going to have to get one. Ford is usually a more expensive source, but they'll probably have what you need. If they do, it's a good chance that Auto Zone or Pep Boys might have it too. If not, hit the junkyards or stangparts.com or somebody like that and they'll get you what you need.

You might want to hit the books and look up the relay install in a Haynes or Chilton's manual. That or just post on the relay install. Good luck.

Former rides: '67 coupe, '68 coupe, '67 fastback, '95 GTS, Wingless Kona Blue '96 Cobra

Last edited by StreetPilot; 01-21-2003 at 06:25 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-21-2003, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

No, the wires are intact they were just tucked out of the way. So I plugged the foglights into the wires and the switch is on the way.

Now all I need is the relay. Does it just plug into a harness, or will I need to splice it in somewhere?

Thanks for all your help.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2003, 10:16 PM

I'm thinking of removing my fog lights for more air flow for my cold air intake, and less weight. Anyone have a pic of a convertible with no fog lights?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 - TNT 300 shot, VEC2, etc.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2003, 09:38 AM

Phantom5oh,
Here is the picture of the entire kit for foglights that PPI (mustangparts.com) offers.

That is the fogs, brackets, relay and switch. Looks like the relay, which is the smaller of the two items between/above the foglights in the picture, is pretty small. Hopefully now we can recognize what you're looking for when you see it. HTH.

See if you can get Anaconda to sell you his relay. Not only would he be able to supply the part you need, but he could tell you where it plugs in as well! I don't know the exact location underhood. However, a Chilton's manual might show it.

Last edited by StreetPilot; 01-23-2003 at 10:50 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2003, 10:08 AM

Im not positive, but Im pretty sure the realy goes in the electrical box right next to the battery. Its got a black cover, and on the side had a power wire running straight to the battery. Real easy to see. Open it up, I think theres a diagram on the bottom that says what each one is, if so, you should see which one it is. hth

1995 351W 5-Speed - Bolt-on here, bolt-on thereā€¦ Way too slow

"Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. ā€¢ Believe in nothing..."
post #9 of 9 Old 01-23-2003, 10:51 AM

Thanks Phreaky!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement