Location / wire colors for fuel pump or coil cutoff switch on 1999 Cobra - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (21)
Garage
Location / wire colors for fuel pump or coil cutoff switch on 1999 Cobra

Finished putting in my momentary switch (which has to be held down while cranking the car, got the idea from the disarm switch on the crappy old Ford add-on alarm) but would like to add a simple DPDT switch to cutoff power to the fuel pump (relay?) and/or ignition coil power. However, I want to just cut in to a constant power supply and not anything that pulses or isn't a full +12v (like a 5v signal or something) and not sure of the location or wire colors under the dash or by the ECM that would work for what I want to do.

Suggestions on what to break into?

94-04 Mustang Cobra Tech and DIY projects - dbdragster.com

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Take a look at the inertia switch on the back wall/driver's side in the trunk. I'm not sure which wire to tap into though.

edit:
There are 2 wires, looks like pink/black goes from the inertia switch to the fuel pump. However, you could probably tap into either wire to disable the engine.

Fred
03 Cobra Coupe DSG

“You don’t need the bullet when you got the ballot.” ~George Clinton
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (21)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBit View Post
Take a look at the inertia switch on the back wall/driver's side in the trunk. I'm not sure which wire to tap into though.

edit:
There are 2 wires, looks like pink/black goes from the inertia switch to the fuel pump. However, you could probably tap into either wire to disable the engine.
Yea in fact for that you could just use a single throw switch in series with the positive side and leave the ground alone (or do it with the ground and leave the power alone) either way it would work. I'd like to use something that keeps the engine running, and since the ECU modulates power to the fuel pump on 99+ cars, I wanted to avoid doing that. However, I did the exact same thing on my 88 5.0 and it worked great (tapping into the wire going into the inertia switch from fuel pump relay).

Speaking of which, is there a fuel pump relay under the seat on a returnless fuel system that I could just put a switch on the ground side or something of the relay coil? I assume even though the ECU modulates power for fuel, the relay (if there is one there) wouldn't do that

94-04 Mustang Cobra Tech and DIY projects - dbdragster.com

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-25-2016, 02:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Garage
The fuel pump relay is within the CCRM.....

Here are a couple diagrams for it. Use the 2nd one to trace the wire up that branches off to "M" to see where it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 99cobra1.gif (11.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif 99cobra2.gif (10.7 KB, 1 views)

90' LX________________2011 GT Premium, DD, manual
Previous 4 cyl.__________Brembo Package, Borla ATAK system
427W, in the works______JLT Intake, Tuned
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Garage
If you need this one, it should be where "B" goes to on the 2nd diagram.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif 99cobra3.gif (13.7 KB, 1 views)

90' LX________________2011 GT Premium, DD, manual
Previous 4 cyl.__________Brembo Package, Borla ATAK system
427W, in the works______JLT Intake, Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement