Ignition Problem. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 05-30-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Ignition Problem.

Well here it goes.

When I turn on the key with a fully charge battery, nothing happens. I mean nothing!
I don't get a click, my dash lights do NOT come one. I don't even hear the electric fuel pump come on. I hit the horn, nothing. I turn on the headlight switch nothing.

Here's what I've done, I've removed the starter solenoid and associated wiring and place it under the fender. I've also relocated the battery to the trunk. I've installed a single wire alternator, a single 16" Electric fan, and a mini starter and a MSD6A ignition box, I used the wiring kit for the MDS and coil wiring connections. Dummy proof set up.

Here's the troubleshooting that I've done.
1-check the battery, 12.75 volts.
2-with the key in the off position, check for voltage at the starter solenoid, I get 12.75 volts.
3-check for power to the starter, get 12 votls.
4-Jummped the starter by touching the small ignition lug on the starter solenoid and the lug where the battery and starter cable are connected and the starter engages the flywheel.
5-with the key in the ON position, check for power to the lug on the stater solenoid that has all the other wiring, (if you seen a mustang starter solenoid, you know what I'm talking about) I Don't get any voltage.
6-checked all the connectors next to the firewall on the driver side, they are all well connected.
7-checked all the fuses on the FUSE box, they are all OK.
8-removed the ignition switch from the steering column and checked every connection on the switch, NO voltage.
9-I have the engine block grounded to the frame and I also have the negative cable from the trunk running all the way up connected to the side of the block.
10-SO FAR, NONE OF THE CABLES SEEMS TO BE FRIED OR SHOW ANY SIGN OF A SHORT.

HERE is WHAT I've REPLACE NEW.

New Battery.
New mini starter.
New single wire alternator.
New SCT 4 BANK EPROM chip Tune ECU
New STARTER solenoid
New IGNITION switch, I thought the ignition switch could be defective so I purchased a second one..

One question that I can't seem to wrap my head around is, when the key is in the "ON" position, I should at least be getting power to the 2nd lug on the solenoid. The one with all the wiring leading to the igniton switch. Please help me figure this out..Thx

At this point I'm at a loss and am drawing ON all the WISDOM that's out there from the MUSTANG & CORRAL COMMUNITY. I would be grateful for any input at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement