1996 Electrical help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
1996 Electrical help

Checked my fuses because the cigarette lighters in my 96 GT died. The fuse was blown, but I also noticed two empty spaces in the box. Top is supposed to be empty, but the one on the bottom is for the Air Injection system?

The car passed visual and the sniffer with flying colors, but it is a hastily-installed 99 PI. Will these engines pass with the system disabled or did the previous owner jerry rig the relay somewhwere else?

I also get a loud pop sometimes when I start the car with the stereo on, but only if the accessory is on for a few seconds before hitting the starter. I think it's a bad ground, but it only happens after cranking the starter, not when the stereo turns on

Any red flags from you guys? Things to check on? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-04-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Diagram I referenced

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...p-1996-bjb.gif

post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
It does sound a bit like a short he thought he solved by removing the fuse for the air injection system. When I look at the wire diagram I don't see any inputs to the PCM for the air injection system so I'm guessing it won't set a DTC code even if its unplugged. It is only intended to alter conditions at startup and is not necessary after something like 2 minutes. Not sure I helped solve your electrical issue though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
put a test light to batt pos, and probe both pins.

if there is a short to ground, it will light up

then go find it.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-08-2016, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by az97cobra View Post
It does sound a bit like a short he thought he solved by removing the fuse for the air injection system. When I look at the wire diagram I don't see any inputs to the PCM for the air injection system so I'm guessing it won't set a DTC code even if its unplugged. It is only intended to alter conditions at startup and is not necessary after something like 2 minutes. Not sure I helped solve your electrical issue though.
Interesting they didn't wire an emissions system to the computer. I have noticed the car puts out a good ammount of water vapor for a while when I warm it up in the mornings. I assumed 90s v8, but it makes sense the 6 catalytic converters would take a while to warm up if that system wasn't working. I knew 4v cobras had an air feed for the cats but didn't realize until I saw the fuse that it was on GTs too.

Like I said, it was a hasty swap, and a hodgepodge of 96 and 99 parts with a safe tune. I know I would've been sorely tempted to bypass it and call it a day if I had been the one piecing everything together
post #6 of 6 Old 04-08-2016, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
put a test light to batt pos, and probe both pins.

if there is a short to ground, it will light up

then go find it.
Ha and hope it isn't a wire that's wrapped up in the harness. But I knew something was fishy for a while.

Thanks for the tip, I'll post again when I dig into it. There's something weird in there somewhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement