Oxygen sensor engine harness help!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 02-10-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Oxygen sensor engine harness help!!

Hello every one. I have a huge issue with my ECC 20 amp fuse popping. I have traced this electrical issue for 2 days and have finally found it... Electrical issues can be a pain in the butt to find. However I will get to the point.

There is a 4 point connection that comes from the engine harness and then connects to the 02 sensor connection. The 4 point connection has been severed to a point that if they make contact, it blows the 20 amp ecc fuse. What is the best way to go about correcting this issue?

- Using electrical tape seems to be out of the question
- Cutting the connection off and attempt to repair it
- Replace the full connection all the way up the harness

If cutting it off is the way to go, would any one be willing to provide instructions on the best way.

The car is a 1995 3.8 base model Mustang coupe.

Reckful is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 02-12-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Update -

I have went and got a new connector for the drivers side down stream sensor, however there is a problem. The new connector has 4 wires that are black, black /w white strip, pink and green /w red strip. However my harness is indicating black, red and yellow.

I have searched round for the colors in order to match then up but I have came up onerously short. All I have found is that the two blacks on the new connector are both ground, that leaves the question, do I connect both too the ground wire on the harness?

What are the pink and green /w red strips wire go too?

Again:

Harness: Red, Yellow and black
Connector: Pink /w yellow, Green /w Red Stripe, Black and black /w White stripe

Any help would be grateful


I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
you have


1 heater power
2 heater ground
3 sensor ground
4 signal

you need to id them on your harness side, with wiring diagram, then locate them on the connector to align with your 02 sensor connector.

your 02 sensor will have two same colored wires, those are heater power and ground, easy, just id the other two.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Thank you for the information. So with what you are saying. the two ground wires (Black and black /w white stripe), I can twist them around and connect both of them to the single ground connection on the harness and then I would have to found the other two wires, correct?
Reckful is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
no

sensor ground and heater ground need separate circuits, like factory

there is a reason for separate wires.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Registered User
 
TrickVert's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (28)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Posts: 3,203
Perhaps this connector diagram will be of help(?).

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ensorTests.gif


'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrickVert is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 12:43 PM
Registered User
 
TrickVert's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (28)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Posts: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
no

sensor ground and heater ground need separate circuits, like factory

there is a reason for separate wires.
indy: It sounds like he has a new O2 connector with four wires, but his harness (car side) has only three.

Recful: Is this correct?

When I have a chance to go out to the garage, I'll see if I can find anything definitive in the CD manual. (64-bit Win 7 in my office won't run the old Ford CD's.)

Andy

'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrickVert is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
'95 3.8L

should have 4-wire up and downstream sensors, and harness

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
The you guys for the information and the diagram is very helpful. Please note that I am a complete noob when it comes to electrical, so if I sound stupid, I am just simply attempting to understand.

Trickvert: Have a new connector: Yes and yes with the wiring harness.

I have received a copy of the manual and this will clear the color coding up, however I have attached pictures of the manual and the connector harness.
Attached Images
File Type: png o2 sensor.PNG (71.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20160213_112830.jpg (62.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20160213_115214.jpg (110.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20160213_115154.jpg (103.6 KB, 14 views)

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
that does not help you

you see the "NCA" no color associated


89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Dang, this is becoming fustrating

If it helps. The connector is a BWD Part # PT5525
Reckful is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 09:57 PM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
that number means nothing to me,

is that some universal 02 sensor?

or was that from ford?

there is only 4 wires, I already told you what two must be, the other two should be easy. a 02 sensor makes its own voltage, hit it with some propane and watch a voltage be made out of thin air......

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Registered User
 
TrickVert's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (28)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Posts: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
that does not help you

you see the "NCA" no color associated
That actually will help him if he has the old connector and can match up the old pinout to the new.

Reckful: According to the wiring diagram you posted, there should be four wires in the body harness, not three (unless the fourth wire takes off on its own). As Indy mentioned earlier, you need to look at the existing connector wiring and determine which wire goes to which pin, then match that up to your new connector.

How about a pic of the current harness and factory connector?

'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrickVert is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
- No it is not a universal connector

- No it's not from ford, it's made from BWD

- I understand that there must be two wires of the same, I understand that. However the problem lies within which one goes to which as the colors do not match, also I do not want to fry my computer with the wrong connection.

As you have stated and I have seen but over looked is the NCA. I know this might be stupid but would that indicate that either wire could go to either or or this is indicated as there is no NCA as it depends on the plug?

TrickVert I will have pictures uploaded shortly
Reckful is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Registered User
 
TrickVert's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (28)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Posts: 3,203
"NCA" is likely shown because different (replacement) O2 sensors may have different wire colors, or they may be enclosed in a sheath and not visible at all. Are you trying to replace the connector on the O2 sensor itself? Regardless, you had to cut a connector off, right? That connector, though, you say had only three wires?

If you *do* have four wires on the cut connector, Don't worry so much about wire colors, just be concerned about which wire goes to which pin on the old connector, then match that up to the new one. You have a multimeter, I assume?

If you actually have only three wires, then I'm not sure what to say. Pics of the factory connector with cut wires, and the harness minus the connector might help to show what you're working with.

Andy

'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrickVert is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Here is the old connection.

I have ripped the top off the old connector and I see the following

- Red Wire
- Pink (I believe)
- Two Black

Why this is so hard is do to the fact that the connector was damaged really badly to the point that the harness (Shroud) was burnt off, so I am playing doctor.

I will have pictures of the harness tomorrow but I have cut it all the way back to the point that it splits into the oil pressure relay plugin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160213_201350.jpg (37.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20160213_201510.jpg (31.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20160213_201438.jpg (32.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20160213_201532.jpg (42.3 KB, 11 views)

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Registered User
 
TrickVert's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (28)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Posts: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckful View Post
Here is the old connection.

I have ripped the top off the old connector and I see the following

- Red Wire
- Pink (I believe)
- Two Black

Why this is so hard is do to the fact that the connector was damaged really badly to the point that the harness (Shroud) was burnt off, so I am playing doctor.

I will have pictures of the harness tomorrow but I have cut it all the way back to the point that it splits into the oil pressure relay plugin.
I see why you're a bit befuddled. Those colors don't match up with anything. All you can really do is match pin location to wire as I mentioned above. Another - potentially better/simpler - option might be to hit a U-pull-n-pay, and cut off a factory connector and pigtail (?).

Andy

P.S. One of those "black" wires in the connector probably had a stripe at one point. What's at the harness end?

'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TrickVert; 02-13-2016 at 11:47 PM.
TrickVert is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 02-13-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Thank you TrickVert. When I get the picture of the harness tomorrow, I will upload them here. However I have taken a picture of both the old and new connector(s) side by side.

I have also cross referenced the BWD connector (New one) 6-8 times and all the information has came back as this connector does go with the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160213_204539.jpg (53.6 KB, 7 views)

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 02-14-2016, 12:12 AM
Registered User
 
TrickVert's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (28)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Posts: 3,203
It does appear that the connector is the correct one, but since it's a generic piece made for multiple applications, the wire colors (as you've found) typically don't match the factory scheme. This wouldn't be an issue if yours wasn't so damaged. It's too bad you didn't/couldn't trace then back to recognizable colors before it was removed.
TrickVert is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickVert View Post
It does appear that the connector is the correct one, but since it's a generic piece made for multiple applications, the wire colors (as you've found) typically don't match the factory scheme. This wouldn't be an issue if yours wasn't so damaged. It's too bad you didn't/couldn't trace then back to recognizable colors before it was removed.
Yes, it has been very difficult. I will be making a trip too the pick a part in my area in order to pull a connector off in order to either use it or to attempt to match the new one up.

I will report back once I have visited the salvage yard as will as have the pictures of the main harness. *Hard to take pictures when it's dark *

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 02-14-2016, 12:38 AM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
the heater power and ground, can be hooked up any way, wont matter.

take your 02 sensor, put in a vise, take a propane torch, hit the sensor while checking voltage at the other two wires.

if it is pos voltage, you now know what is sensor signal and sensor ground/sig rtn, from you volt meter.

if it is a neg voltage, just reverse it, it is JUST THAT simple.

forget the damn wire colors......

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 02-14-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
the heater power and ground, can be hooked up any way, wont matter.

take your 02 sensor, put in a vise, take a propane torch, hit the sensor while checking voltage at the other two wires.

if it is pos voltage, you now know what is sensor signal and sensor ground/sig rtn, from you volt meter.

if it is a neg voltage, just reverse it, it is JUST THAT simple.

forget the damn wire colors......
Okay, here is the update. I have went to the salvage yard and was able to match things up. After that I went home and completely tore apart the harness and to my surprise I found out why there were only three connections.

What the little dip *(&* did was twist two of the wires together in order to make three connections. I currently missed it because most of the protective coverings were melted beyond recognition. Therefore I have a lot more work in for me than I expected.

I will be picking up some shrink tubing for the protective covering and then I will be able to crimp the new connection to the harness in order to complete the surgery.

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
its amazing what hacks can do to these cars......

good luck

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 02-16-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
its amazing what hacks can do to these cars......

good luck
Alright, replaced the part however I have now recieved a p0161 code which relates to the fixed harness.Does any one have instructions on how to replace the whole harness on a 1995 3.8 mustang?
Reckful is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 02-16-2016, 10:01 PM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
that is a heater code

you said you fixed it, did you?

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
that is a heater code

you said you fixed it, did you?
I was in the process of fixing. However I put everything back together yesterday and it seems that the mustang has been temperamental as it's been providing me the following error message.

The wires have been tubed/crimped back onto the harness, however it seems that there is still a issue that I am not currently seeing.

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 02-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
you can test the heater circuit.

there is a power and ground, and the heater

unplug the connector

on the harness side, turn key to run

test light to batt neg, probe for power

test light to batt pos, probe for the ground

then ohm the heater on the 02 connector,,,,,~3-8 ohms, is good.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 05-25-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Sorry for the late reply, been really busy. I have replave (Crimped) a new connected onto the harness, however with further looking into the issue. I did notice that the harness is pretty fried after the wires have made contact.

Does any one know if it is pretty easy to replace the whole harness itself? If so, what steps are involved? I have lost the path up into the engine bay, so I am not sure if it directly connected to the CPU or into the harness somewhere within the bay.

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 05-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
you should be able to find a new inj harness

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 07-24-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Reckful's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 26
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
you should be able to find a new inj harness
Sorry about the very late delay. Been very busy lately. True. However, I am just trying to keep to going long enough for me to get my hands on a 4.2 1999 Ford f150 motor. I believe they use the same harness as the motors are identical.

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.
Reckful is offline  
post #31 of 31 Old 07-25-2016, 12:18 AM
Registered User
 
indy2000's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 21,262
very doubtful the harness is pinned the same.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
indy2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oxygen sensor Harness Drama alexsvt Electrical & Wiring 1 10-09-2015 08:29 PM
For Sale 88-90 5-spd Oxygen Sensor harness TxFireman1972 Electronics and Entertainment 8 02-25-2015 12:17 AM
Oxygen sensor wire harness Orange72 Electrical & Wiring 2 12-11-2013 12:14 PM
Want To Buy Want to buy: 86-10 Ford O2 Oxygen Sensor Wire Harness Extensions 91svtcoupe Exhaust Parts 0 12-26-2010 09:53 AM
For Sale 87-93 M/T oxygen sensor harness neffarnie2 Electronics and Entertainment 5 12-11-2010 05:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome