1995 COBRA - WHAT'S WRONG w/ MY ELECTRICAL SYSTEM? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-13-2002, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
1995 COBRA - WHAT'S WRONG w/ MY ELECTRICAL SYSTEM?

Hey, Im having a problem with my electrical system in my 95 Cobra. I have an external fan control system, the + is connected directly to my battery and have a relay setup so when the cars off, the fan will turn off. I also have the t-rex external fuel pump and the power wire to that is connected directly into my fuse box underneath the driverside area. OK well heres the problem, every time the fan turns on my fuel pressure drops about 3-4lbs of pressure. If I turn on my rear electrical defrost it drops an additional 2lbs! So when the cooling fan turns on the fuel pressure drops and then when the fan turns off the fuel pressure goes back up again. This also happens if I use my power windows the bring them up and down. What the heck will be causing this? My volt gauge reads around the R in normal or sometimes a little lower. Should I upgrade my alternater to a 130A? Is this normal or what can be causing it, should I move the power wire for the external fuel pump directly to the battery and connect a relay in between? Should I move the power wire for the fan somewhere else? Any info would be great, thanks alot guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-14-2002, 12:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Not really the volts that you need to be concerned with but more the amps. The fan pulls alot of amps to run, as does everything electrical. Like you said I would try running it direct with the relay. The voltage does need to be higher and a high output alt will help as will upgrading to a better battery, which will help anyway. It seems like your alt isn't quite up to snuff. My 2 pennies.
Brian

1995 GT coupe/ (converting from 306ci to 347ci) 70tb,75 MAF........ you know the rest of the story.
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (4 doors, 3 diamonds, 2 litres, 1 turbo = 380 awhp)
1989 GT (Building another stroker)
post #3 of 5 Old 12-14-2002, 09:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Get your B+ for your fuel pump relay from the battery also.
This might help...

R331 GT47
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-14-2002, 11:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
130 amp is stock on 94-95. Why in the heck would you connect anything under the dash directly to the fuse panel?? You need to connect a relay from under the dash and then run a heavy wire directly from the battery to the relay where it goes to the fuel pump. You ask for disaster. It is kind of like a remote switch on an amplifier.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-15-2002, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Hey wazee, I didnt install it like that, when i bought the car it was installed like that and when i was looking everything over i was like WTF why is the power wire going directly into the fuse box? So then I should definetly connect it diretly to the battery with a relay connected to it to switch on and off with the cars ignition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement