Almost got it - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-07-2002, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Almost got it

After a month of replacing and testing everything related to the cooling system, there is just one missing link to find out what's wrong with my fan operation and cooling. Just to let you know, the problem is that my fan doesn't turn on at all no matter the temperature, nor does it turn on when the air conditioner is on. I know the fan works on both speeds since I tested it out connecting it dircetly to the battery, the CCRM works caused I tried tapped into the green/purple wire and grounded it out, and can hear the relay throwing, and have replaced the thermostat, coolant sensor, and coolant temperature sending unit. There's also no codes from the ECT.

What am I missing? Could it be that there's just a simple bad connection somewhere?

Thanks alot. I appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-07-2002, 07:12 PM

Re: Almost got it...just need a little more help.

Quote:
Originally posted by 95GTfiveOh
After a month of replacing and testing everything related to the cooling system, there is just one missing link to find out what's wrong with my fan operation and cooling. Just to let you know, the problem is that my fan doesn't turn on at all no matter the temperature, nor does it turn on when the air conditioner is on. I know the fan works on both speeds since I tested it out connecting it dircetly to the battery, the CCRM works caused I tried tapped into the green/purple wire and grounded it out, and can hear the relay throwing, and have replaced the thermostat, coolant sensor, and coolant temperature sending unit. There's also no codes from the ECT.

What am I missing? Could it be that there's just a simple bad connection somewhere?

Thanks alot. I appreciate any help.
There is a recall on our fan units. I would contact the dealer about it.

post #3 of 13 Old 12-07-2002, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I've done the recall, but that was over a year ago. Have gone to Ford and told them about my problem, and of course they told me to leave it over for the day. Basically so they can call me and tell me that I need a new engine and charge me $50 for their time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-07-2002, 10:54 PM
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator

Trader Feedback: (2)
I just bought a three way switch, wire, and 2 Bosch 20/30amp relays...and now I have total control over my fan. My fan would turn on too late when the motor was hot. Now with my switch and the fluidyne...car stays nice and cool.

Troy

Troy
1995 Mustang Cobra
347ci 10.52 @ 127.74 NA-Pump Gas (gone)
New Project in the works.
2009 F150 Lariat *tow truck*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-08-2002, 12:50 AM

where did you get your fan controler?

2004 competiton orange mach 1, 4.10 gear, pro 5.0
off raod X pipe, slowmasters. 4 sell
post #6 of 13 Old 12-08-2002, 05:33 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (87)
Hi there,
Do a KOEO test and if you hear the clicks from the relay and the fan doesn't come on then its the fan. If you don't hear the click from the relays then its the CCRM.
See ya. Michael Plummer

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
ProCharger D1 and Snow Performance Water/Methanol
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #7 of 13 Old 12-08-2002, 06:08 PM
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator

Trader Feedback: (2)
I have a Pro-M fan controller still in the box sitting here. I was going to use it but I liked having a three way switch better.

Troy

Troy
1995 Mustang Cobra
347ci 10.52 @ 127.74 NA-Pump Gas (gone)
New Project in the works.
2009 F150 Lariat *tow truck*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-08-2002, 06:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
isn't there a control for the fan in the computer?

Matt Freeman '95 GT T-5, ... email mayo302 (at) gmail.com
post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2002, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Redsnk95
I just bought a three way switch, wire, and 2 Bosch 20/30amp relays...and now I have total control over my fan. My fan would turn on too late when the motor was hot. Now with my switch and the fluidyne...car stays nice and cool.

Troy
I might try that. Can you give me a little more detail on how you hooked it together?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-09-2002, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Plummer
Hi there,
Do a KOEO test and if you hear the clicks from the relay and the fan doesn't come on then its the fan. If you don't hear the click from the relays then its the CCRM.
See ya. Michael Plummer
Well, did the KOEO test and the relays work. But, could it still be the fan even though it turns on when I hook it up directly to the battery?

post #11 of 13 Old 12-09-2002, 08:58 PM
Corral Elite Member

Hi there,
If the fan doesn't come on during the KOEO test during the relaypulses then its the fans even though it comes on when power is applied directly to it. My old fan came on with an external power source but did nothing when hooked up in the car.

Check the plug at the fan and make sure power is getting there. Sometimes the ground side will be alittle corroded, so check it and clean or re-crimp it.

See Michael Plummer

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS
post #12 of 13 Old 12-11-2002, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Plummer
Hi there,
If the fan doesn't come on during the KOEO test during the relaypulses then its the fans even though it comes on when power is applied directly to it. My old fan came on with an external power source but did nothing when hooked up in the car.

Check the plug at the fan and make sure power is getting there. Sometimes the ground side will be alittle corroded, so check it and clean or re-crimp it.

See Michael Plummer
So all I need to do is replace the fan motor? Would it be better just to get an aftermarket fan assembly such as the SN-95 or Mark VII?

Thanks for the help.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Corral Elite Member

Hi there,
The fan motor and fan are one assembly, so don't take them apart because you'll have a hard time putting it back together.

The plug for the fan on the negative side(black wire) sometimes gets corroded. Cleaning it or re-crimping with a new connector sometimes is a good idea if corrossion is present.

Just check the connector(it pulls apart) for corrossion but buy a new fan from Ford and install it. No need for any aftermarket pieces here, the stk. fan from Ford is more than adequate and in most cases better.
See ya. Michael Plummer

849rwhp and 771rwtq SAE
Pro-M Racing EMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement