Car Won't Start - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Car Won't Start

I went to start my Mustang like 10 min ago and the motor wouldnt turn!!!!!!! My battery is good and Ihave gas. I heard ticking comming from I hope, the starter. I couldnt tell if it was the starter or the computer cuz the noise was comming from the general area! Would do u think? Is the starter shot?
Help me PLEASE!

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 01-30-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Please, be specific in your thread titles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 12:15 AM

A weak batery will cause just that problem. Are you absolutely sure it is OK? How clean are the battery terminals? Have you tried a jump start?

JL

post #3 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Its a band new battery not even a week old. When I had the bat installed I had the alt checked and its good to! When I went to start it my gauges went nuts. My tach needle was jumping like crazy and my dash lights were blinking like mad as well!
Thanks Faster
anymore help would be greatly app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

please someone anyone hhelp me b4 i junk this pos
post #5 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 01:05 AM

sounds like either 1. battery or 2. starter solenoid. put a multimeter on the battery. you need at least 10.2 volts to start the car, or something around there. i would get lights, radio, ticking, but no start. had a 9.4 or close to it on the battery, but wasn't enough. jump start wouldn't work for me either, battery was way too gone. had to put a new battery in to get the car to start. *could* be your starter solenoid. little black or red, round contraption sticking off frame wall behind battery. smack that with a screwdriver while someone tries to start the car. or just pay the 10 bucks for a new one.

Blown 90lx
479rwhp/474rwtq

It's all about huge boobs and you know it.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

OK, I had someone check the bat and it was good. IM still hearing the ticking noise comming from the area where the computer is or the starter area. I know this is something reali simple like the starter. Or has anyone ever had the computer die on them? What happens when the comp takes a dump?
Thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 10:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
That "clicking" noise is most likely the starter plunger moving back & forth. It does this because its getting enough juice to activate the plunger, but not enough to actually turn the motor.

IF the battery is good, & IF the alternator is good, & IF the starter solenoid is good, then you probably have a bad ground somewhere.

Remove and clean ALL wires/connections in the ENTIRE charging/starting system. Also, remove & clean the grounds from the engine to chassi. Use a mixture of baking soda & water to neutralize battery acid and corrosion.

If that doesn't fix your problem then it could be a bad/corroded wire or your starter. But my guess is that a good cleaning will do the trick. Bad grounds kill batterys. Good Luck.

Rio Red 97 Cobra Number 749 of 6961...born October 3rd, 1996
Tarmac Black 2010 Lancer Ralliart Sportback

Last edited by Dedicated5.0; 12-24-2001 at 10:49 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 11:04 AM

With your lights and gauges going crazy, sounds as if you have a ground problem somewhere. Clean connections as said before and be sure to check ECM ground connection. Its located beside the starter realy on inner fenderwell. Also make sure your engine to chassis ground strap is good or not loose.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 12:15 PM

I've gotta guess that it's a ground too.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-24-2001, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Thanks guys.

first off, thanks for all the help guys it keeps my motivation going! I dunno, I went back to the car and stuck my head down by the computer and the ticking noise is coming from there. Im going to listen to all of the good advice you all have been giving me and check all the grounds. Once again, thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement