How thick a wire should I run to High speed fan ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 10-16-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
How thick a wire should I run to High speed fan ?

I am hot wiring my high speed fan. I used some fog light wiring, but evidently it is drawing some amps, cuz the wire gets very hot. I think the wire is about 16 gauge maybe 18. What gauge should I use?

gary

Yellow 95 GT vert, Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Y303 Heads, Water Injection.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I travel all rainy roads, and hydroplane thru life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-16-2002, 12:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
10 gauge for positive and negative. And they should be turned on by a relay. For the relay you can use 16 gauge. And the main power 10 gauge wire, use a fuse or a breaker of some sort.
85 = switch power "power to close circuit for the relay contact"
86 ground
30 = power to relay
87 or 87a "depends on your relay always power. goes to your fan. If you hook it up wrong the fan will just be on when it should be off.
This is by FAR the safest and most correct way. PERIOD. Don't turn the fan on by a simple switch only. It'll bit ya in the end. And in if you dont know the wires must be stranded not a solid core wire.
You shouldn't need any more than a 20 amp fuse. Probably 10-15 better per fan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement