Low battery light on (Moved from 94/95 Tech) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-14-2002, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Low battery light on (Moved from 94/95 Tech)

Quick question regarding the dash battery light. On my way to work this morning I glanced down to see my red battery light on & the needle on the gauge between the "N" & "O" on NORMAL. This is the first time the light has ever came on, & the battery is fairly new. Last night got down to about 35 degrees if that may have an impact on anything. I have driven the car about 10 miles since I first noticed this. If it was the alternator, would'nt the car die out quickly? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-14-2002, 02:02 PM

first, check to c if ur alt is charging w/volt meter should be around 13-14.5 volts (i think) ne thing lower is not charging. then, check ur wires by the ignition selenoide & alt.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-14-2002, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a bad voltage regulator? Is that a part of the actual alternator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2002, 07:17 AM

Voltage regulator is part of the alternator...

Check to make sure all connections are good and have the alternator tested at your local parts store. You can drive without an alternator until the battery is drained, not usually that long.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2002, 09:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
this exact thing happened to me last night.

this morning and a new 130 amp alternator (151$ AutoZone) later, and I am back in business.

the Battery light came on (for the first time ever), after driving around and getting voltage spikes upwards of 16-17 volts!!! then, after pulling out of the gas station, nothing but battery voltage.

I have had an alternator go out before (two years ago). I was able to drive the car for 5+ miles before the battery was completely dead (new battery).

Hope this helps.

Guy
_______
95 Red Cobra 357RWHP/386RWTQ TW heads, TwEECer, TFS R, 36 lbers/PRoM 77,70mm TB, 347, Al flywhl, 1 3/4 LTs, Dr. Gas X, 3" out the back phb/ta, griggs C/O MM C.C plates
post #6 of 7 Old 10-15-2002, 09:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (34)
That's almost funny Guy...The same exact thing happened to me a week and a half ago. Driving home from work, all was well. I stopped at the gas station, all was still well. I started the car and as I pulled out of the place, I see my battery light come on....Went home (I was about 3-4 miles away), and checked the charging system with a voltage meter....11 volts

$150 later, all is well....

2 Mustangs and a LOUDASS Harley
post #7 of 7 Old 10-15-2002, 10:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)

Yeah, thats not cool... mine was under warranty, in another state, and I cannot find out which store it was purchased from

Optima Alternator 130 amps?... any one?

The good news is that I am soo good at taking it off, its not funny... it only took me 10 minutes last night.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement