1995 Foglights - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
1995 Foglights

I've had my '95 for about a year now. All this time, I've gone without foglights. They just didn't work. I took it upon myself to fix 'em today.

First off when the headlights are on and I turn on the fog light switch, nothing happens. Not even the little light on the switch lights up. I wanted to be able to use my fogs with even just the parking lights on, so I went ahead and did the foglight mod as per the tech forum. I tested the connections while it was apart and the switch is getting power as it's supposed to (gets power once the headlights are on). After the mod it gets power as soon as the parking lights are on - cool, but I still don't have fog lights at this point.

Next stop was the foglight relay which I knew was in the under-hood fuse box, but I didn't know which one was for the fogs. In case anyone wants to know, it's the relay closest to the driver's fender. The relay is fine, it's switching with the foglight switch, and it's 'high current' hot is hot.

Ok - so I check @ the light itself - burned bulb on the driver's side. On the passenger side the bulb had exploded. Well, that explains a lot!

I replace the bulbs and now I have fog lights. But now I have a new problem. The passenger side light is about half as bright as the driver's side. I thought at first It was just the lens, but it looks about as clear as the driver's side.

Next step in my book is to check the voltage @ the bulb (possible bad ground?), or replace the housing. Maybe that housing is crapped up on the inside. Any ideas? The only clue is that the bulb was 'exploded' inside that housing. Also, should that little light on the switch light up when the fogs are on?

TIA

Shawn

'06 Mercury Montego - FWD, 6-Speed ATX, Premier package
'02 Volkswagon Jetta GLS TDI - mods & MPG!
'95 Mustang GT Convertible 5Sp - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 12:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
the light on the switch should light up when it's on, but you never know it may be a bad bulb in there too...lol.
As for the dimmer bulb on one side, pull the bulb back out and take a look at it. Does it look normal still? I had the same problem once and when I pulled the bulb the glass looked all smokey colored and a bit darker. The bulb still worked, but it was dimmer....prolly half burnt out or something. I put a new bulb in and it worked fine.
You may want to pull the light housings off and look at them for cracks...they're plastic and mine got a crack in each at the bottom and kept getting moisture in and blowing bulbs prematurely. I used silicone to seal them back up, but I still go through at least a bulb every few months, and at something like $6-$8 a pop, I'm about ready to buy some decent aftermarket 'glass' foglights from autozone or something.
good luck

In Loving Memory, My Son, Anthony Michael Starr 08/14/2007 - 01/21/2008

- 95 GT - Aluminum Heads, Cam, TMoss Cobra intake, S-trim, SCT BA2400, 55's, Longtubes, McLeod bell, TKO-600, 3.55's, etc
- 02 GT (Wife's Toy) - Auto, 4.10's, Lowered, Off Road X, Predator Tuner - [email protected]
post #3 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Well - upon closer examination, it looks like it must be the reflector.

You know when looking into a light how you hit that point where it glares? The passenger side doesn't seems to do it.

If you just look at the front of the car, the lights appear to be the same brightness. The 'half as bright' thing is the amount of light that hits the ground. When driving its almost as if the bulb is out on the passenger side.

I bet the light got full of water or whatever and it just needs to be cleaned out. ** New project for next weekend ** .

Shawn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 08:21 AM

bulbs bulbs bulbs...

I've bought about five fog light bulbs within the past year...that's even after sealing up the housings with silicon. Another quality part made by ford.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 09:15 AM

Crappy light housings.....

Save yourself time, money and aggravation adn bite the bullet and get a decent aftermarket set... these things crack/leak w/ 2 years of replacement.

Tom

My fourth pony:
1999 GT Vert, Vortech V-2, IPSCHASSIS SLA, Griggs GR40 Rear, Bassani/Dynomax, Fikse wheels, roll bar, too much to list...
post #6 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 09:21 AM

What's a good aftermarket foglight set that will still fit in the SN95 holes in the bumper so that it looks like they are the stock foglights? My 1994 Mustang GT is missing the foglights, but the switch is in the car and I see that the foglight wiring is hanging behind the bumper.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KingDiamond
What's a good aftermarket foglight set that will still fit in the SN95 holes in the bumper so that it looks like they are the stock foglights? My 1994 Mustang GT is missing the foglights, but the switch is in the car and I see that the foglight wiring is hanging behind the bumper.
I asked a similar question in this post:

https://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...hreadid=181806

It seems that the std GT ones arw available in the $35 range, but I think a set that matches the '94-'98 Cobra headlights would be really sweet.

Shawn

post #8 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 10:39 AM
stm

I have a set of std GT ones that I'm not using that seem to be in good shape.
For that matter a complete set of factory headlights and turn signals too.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 12:47 PM

ill post this again. you can just get the lens for $35-$40 and is an exact match of the factory ones. they look great. enjoy

http://www.nthcoast.com/parts94-98.html

black '03 cobra convertible. bassani o/r xpipe, magnaflow catback, steeda cai and cdc lightbar
post #10 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 06:07 PM

OEM vs Stock Foglights....

Get a setr of Piaa lights... pricey but very effective and not a cheaply made unit like the OEM ones. They all seem to leak and to tell ya the truth, I didn't see much of a difference when they were on, even with the pricey bulbs. My two cents but this is my third pony so I feel that I am qualified to comment! (Remember the old Hella's and Maschal (it was something likethat anyhow! LOL)

Tom

My fourth pony:
1999 GT Vert, Vortech V-2, IPSCHASSIS SLA, Griggs GR40 Rear, Bassani/Dynomax, Fikse wheels, roll bar, too much to list...
post #11 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 09:31 PM

Hey Hazmat, at the link you gave there are some clear corners for 36 bucks... above it says "all parts are ford takeoffs" or some such. Does that mean those aren't the crappy ones that the rubber falls off of?
post #12 of 12 Old 10-14-2002, 11:54 PM

My rice lights have worked fine for 7 years now. I only have had to replace one bulb, but I recently pulled them out for the ram air mod. Driving around with fog lights on is borderline rice in my book, especially parking lights with fog lights. That's just my opinion though, peace.

95 Cobra original owner

FMS extender, BBk headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster catback, FMS C springs, Hurst shifter, KN, CAI, 190 lph, 3.73 gears, 3220 lbs w/o me, 97k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement