1994 GT won't charge - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-2002, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
1994 GT won't charge

My '94 GT quit charging about a month ago while I was driving, barely made it home. Had the alt checked, was OK. Changed battery. Has been OK about a month or two, quit charging again. Replaced the alt and the battery. Everything is connected properly, battery will not charge. Other than the small possibility I might have a new bad battery, is there something (like a circuit breaker or something) contributing to this situation I'm missing? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-13-2002, 12:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
i would say start by cleaning you connections, a unclean surface or bad connection can cause this, also look for a short in the system somewhere

post #3 of 4 Old 10-13-2002, 01:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Is it that the battery wont charge, or is it that the car dont want to start etc? If the car doesnt want to seem to start at times, etc check the engine ground, follow the neg wire from the battery termial to the engine block. The ground is located in the area behind your water pump.
Seems as though if your car wont charge, and keeps going through batteries, etc that something is draining the power from the battery, ruining them. when you get in the car, pull down your back seats and see if the trunk light is on by chance. might be draining the power very slowly.
But my guess is that there may be a slow drain on the battery

good luck

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

2014 Shelby GT00- Oxford White/Sonic Blue Stripes
1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021 - SOLD
8.8:1 comp. Dart 331, Procharger D1 16psi, AFR 185, Edelbrock RPM II, custom cam, TKO, Glenns 1000hp fuel system.
690rwhp on Mustang dyno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-13-2002, 02:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
If it is the case that your car won't start and something is draining the batery, you can do what I did a few weeks ago to find whats pulling juice. Get a multimeter, disconnect your positive terminal, set the multimeter to amps, place the positive from the multimeter on the positive terminal of the battery and the negative from the multimeter to the postive cable. While the car is off a normal drain is .03 amps. If it is higher, than you have a drain/short in the system. Open the fuse box in the engine bay and go one at time, pull each fuse, see if the amps drop, put it back in and go to the next.

When the amps drop, that is the sector that is draining your battery. Cross reference the fuse to your owners manual and you will be able to find out what that fuse controls.

When I did mine, it was the light in the glove box that was staying on, so I pulled the harness of the light and no more probelms.

If your car is starting and is not charging while running, you should also check/replace the return wire from the alternator to the batter as it could be bad.

Good luck,

Dan

94 GT 'vert - sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

04 STi - sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement