New (to me) fan control that wont burn out your ccrm - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-09-2002, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
New (to me) fan control that wont burn out your ccrm

First off I want to give credit where credit is due. Redsnk95 came up with this and shared it with me.

I did the fan switch thing that everybody does originally, and my CCRM failed within a year. The switch MAY or MAY NOT have been the cause, but I didnt want to take another $140 chance.

So, I bought

1- 3 way switch from radio shack

2- 30 amp relays from autozone

1- foglight wiring kit from autozone (for wiring)

1- roll of red wire from radio shack

First thing I did was find a good place for the relays. I placed them on the fan shroud, under the black radiator cover. Just to the left of the center of the fan. I then ran a FUSED positive wire from the battery to the relays. Next I ran a negative wire from the battery to the relays. All this wire will be covered by the plastic radiator cover. I then found a screw on the frame, near where I placed the relays, and ran a negative wire from it, to the fan. The middle post on the fan is negative. I then ran a wire from each relay, one to the high pin (bottom on connector) and one to the low pin (top on connector) on the fan. The next thing is to find where in the car you want to mount the switch. I put mine in the ashtray (I made a plate). I found a wire under the armrest glovebox that is only hot when the ignition is on. I ran a wire from that to the center pin on the 3way switch. I then ran wires from the top and bottom pins on the switch, out of the car (through the passenger wheelwell) and to the relays.

TADAA- I now have total control over my fan, and no worries about the CCRM.

If your car is a daily driver (mine is not), and you may not want to go this route, or you can leave it on low fan. I prefer to have it down here in sunny florida, as my car never runs cool.

Well thats it. Sorry to waste your time. and Redsnk95, thanks for sharing.

Gary

Yellow 95 GT vert, Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Y303 Heads, Water Injection.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I travel all rainy roads, and hydroplane thru life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-09-2002, 01:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
You might want to seal the relays to keep moisture out or move them to the interior some where. They can stick in the energized position when they get a little corroded. A light tap will unstick them, but it can be a pain

post #3 of 5 Old 10-09-2002, 08:38 PM
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator

Trader Feedback: (2)
Gary,
Glad you got it wired up and running. Just gives you better assurance knowing you control the fans rather than the EEC, in my opinion. I leave mine on low speed about 95% of the time. Unless it gets cold (not likely in Houston) then I will turn it off for a quick warm-up.

Troy

Troy
1995 Mustang Cobra
347ci 10.52 @ 127.74 NA-Pump Gas (gone)
New Project in the works.
2009 F150 Lariat *tow truck*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-23-2002, 12:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Can you explain to me the difference in using a 30 amp relay rather than just a 30 amp fuse? Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-23-2002, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (8)
The relay keeps you from having to run a high amperage wire into the passenger compartment. It is like a electronic switch, that is flipped, when it gets a low amperage signal from the switch in the car.

Gary

Yellow 95 GT vert, Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Y303 Heads, Water Injection.

I travel all rainy roads, and hydroplane thru life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement