Power seat not moving - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-28-2002, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
hqa

Trader Feedback: (0)
Power seat not moving

Well my driver seat isn't moving forward anymore (it does move up and down). I hear the motor running but no movement

What could be wrong with it? This car is turning into a money pit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-28-2002, 01:43 PM

Sucks huh?

Yeah, the same thing happened to me around the time I first got the car, but after a while, the seat wouldn't go up or down anymore. I even got stuck up all the way up one time, and I couldn't get it back down till a couple of days later after I banged the hell out of the seat track. I went to Ford to see if they could tell me what the problem was, and they said that some part that controls the movement on the seat track had burned out. The only option was to replace the whole track for $300. Yeah right I'm spending that much on that crap. So instead, I went to a salvage yard and just took off manual seat track another Mustang seat. It costed me $30, and I don't have to worry about the power seats anymore. On the plus side, you also save a couple of pounds of weight. Belive me, that power seat track is heavy. Takes about 45 min to replace, and you still have the connection for the lumbar. If you still want the power seat, just look for the power seat track, and replace it.

Car: Red 95Gt
306ci, Scat forged rods, SRP forged pistons, Ported Edelbrocks 6037s, XE276HR Comp Cam, Ported RPM Intake, 4.10s, 75mm T-body, 1 5/8LT headers, H-pipe, Magnaflow dumps, 73mm C&L, stock suspension, SCT Chip.

Old setup:
297hp, 317tq
Best 12.5 @ 110mph

More power waiting to go to the track!
341hp, 343tq
post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2002, 11:46 AM

Mine used to blow fuses all the time. Last time I had my seats out, I put white lithium grease on the tracks and the drive screws. Now it works better and doesn't blow fuses, but if I operate it for more than a couple seconds, it stops working. If I wait a minute, it will work again.

If you hear the motor running, then I think your problem might be different. I kind of suspect that it's trying to run, but isn't actually turning. If you can get the seat out and lube the moving parts, it might help in your case. Or you might find something that's blocking it.

Of course, it's not easy to get to the back bolts when the seat is all the way back. I'm pretty sure it's 15mm, if that helps any. Be careful about disconnecting the wire before lifting the seat all the way out so that you don't damage it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-01-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
hqa

Re: Sucks huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by 95GTfiveOh
Yeah, the same thing happened to me around the time I first got the car, but after a while, the seat wouldn't go up or down anymore. I even got stuck up all the way up one time, and I couldn't get it back down till a couple of days later after I banged the hell out of the seat track. I went to Ford to see if they could tell me what the problem was, and they said that some part that controls the movement on the seat track had burned out. The only option was to replace the whole track for $300. Yeah right I'm spending that much on that crap. So instead, I went to a salvage yard and just took off manual seat track another Mustang seat. It costed me $30, and I don't have to worry about the power seats anymore. On the plus side, you also save a couple of pounds of weight. Belive me, that power seat track is heavy. Takes about 45 min to replace, and you still have the connection for the lumbar. If you still want the power seat, just look for the power seat track, and replace it.
Well I went to the dealer and they told me the exact same thing
To pay them $300 for the whole fricking thing
No way in hell I'm gonna be paying $300 dollars on this.

I'm gonna follow ur tip to convert it from power seats to manual.

Do you know the part number for the manual track?
Thanks
post #5 of 6 Old 10-02-2002, 12:36 PM

Re: Re: Sucks huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by hqa

Well I went to the dealer and they told me the exact same thing
To pay them $300 for the whole fricking thing
No way in hell I'm gonna be paying $300 dollars on this.

I'm gonna follow ur tip to convert it from power seats to manual.

Do you know the part number for the manual track?
Thanks

Sorry, I don't have the part #, but at the dealership it would probably cost alot anyways. I went to a Salvage yard, which convieniently only has wrecked Mustangs and F-bodies, and got the part. Try a mustang parts website if you know of any, or if not, they sell them at www.stangparts.com for $35.

Car: Red 95Gt
306ci, Scat forged rods, SRP forged pistons, Ported Edelbrocks 6037s, XE276HR Comp Cam, Ported RPM Intake, 4.10s, 75mm T-body, 1 5/8LT headers, H-pipe, Magnaflow dumps, 73mm C&L, stock suspension, SCT Chip.

Old setup:
297hp, 317tq
Best 12.5 @ 110mph

More power waiting to go to the track!
341hp, 343tq
post #6 of 6 Old 10-02-2002, 01:50 PM

I had something similar happen to my 93 GT 'Vert, motor would keep running and everything with no movement. Took the track out and it was filthy and clogged with crap. Cleaned it up and greased it (think I used lithium grease) and it started working again.

I'd give that a try before giving up and going with a manual rack unless that's what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement