WINDOW MOTOR BAD? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-19-2002, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
WINDOW MOTOR BAD?

I have a '94 Cobra with electric windows. My driver's side started freaking out the other day. I rolled the window down with the automatic roll down. (click the window rocker switch down once and the window rolls all the way down automatically) when the window travelled all the way down I could still hear the window motor running. I have to hit the button again to get it to stop. Now, it's rough rolling it up. It seems as if the gear is stripped or something.

HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THE WINDOW MOTOR?
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2002, 01:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I had the same problem in my 94 GT. Let me get a couple things clear....

The window rolls down fine? How do you get it back up?

Does the motor still 'turn' when you hit the switch (can you hear it making noise)?

Sometimes will it roll back up fine or do you always have to help it up?

My motor was still good but the rubber bushings that encase the gear inside the motor were worn out, I'm willing to bet this is the case. If so all you have to do is go to a parts store and but a new 'gear' for your motor, it will come w/a new gear and bushings. Coincidentally there are alot of 94-95 guys that complain of this problem, and coincidentally out of all the different parts stores they go to they all complain of the same thing (well, not all but most)...the bushings they needed were the right size but the new gear itself was too big and wasn't the right one. If this happens to you take advantage of the situation ...this happened to me when I went to a Hi/Lo O'Reilly Auto Parts store, the bushing were the right size but the gear wasn't...so I was like, "hell, I'll just use the bushings and return the rest"...they didn't know the difference, got my $25 dollars back and my window fixed...almost like they paid me to do it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda
"...your sig sucks..."
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2002, 07:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
motor

motor replacement is 15 minutes....tops!
once you get the panel off, you'll see how easy it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2002, 10:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Its pretty easy to do, You just have to get your hand in a funky position and "feel" the motor on the other side. I also would rule out the switches being bad. I went through hell recently trying to fix an intermittent problem with my windows till eventuall ALL of windows wouldnt work. I changed the motor(both sides) still nothing. Finally I decided to buy the switches(buttons) and guess what...all 3 were bad...changed them all and now they work like a charm. If your passeneger window is rolling down fine then I would switch the switches and see how it behaves on your driver's side window. If its still the same then you know the motor is bad...or the bushing is worn.

94 Oxford White GT. 18" Saleen wheels with BFG Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, etc. 89 Oxford White Notchback. Chrome Pony Wheels, Full exhaust, Pulleys, yadda yadda yadda, 94 GT Vert (Stockish cruiser)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement