Power source for aftermarket fan wiring - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-13-2002, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Question Power source for aftermarket fan wiring

Im hooking up a perma cool adjustable fan sensor. It controls the on and off temps of the fan and splices into the fan wiring. I was wondering where to get power from? If I hook it to the battery then it will continue to run after car is turned off, and wont stop untill the car cools below the set temp. I dont want to end up with a dead battery. So, is there any power source that only operates when the key is on? Would it handle the draw of the stock fan? Any suggestions, ideas?
thnaks-jon

1994 cobra # 1067
white ex./black leather int.
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
-18" konig wheels with nitto 555zr
- 3:73 Ford racing gears
-Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft
-Auburn HD limited slip diff.
- 75 mm bullet MAF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-14-2002, 11:50 AM

There are several circuits that are hot only when the key is on. Best way to test is to get a cheap test lite and check wiring connections under the hood and off of the fuse box. Make sure you test it both with the key on and with the key off. Very few circuits will support the amperage necessary to drive an electric fan, so you will need a solonoid (Radio Shack - at least 20AMP). Wire the solonoid directly to the + side of the battery and the other side to the fan +. Wire the solonoid switch to ground on one side and your keyed power source on the other and your ready to cool off.......

post #3 of 17 Old 09-15-2002, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Good idea.

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-15-2002, 10:52 PM

Hey 94 I just hooked up a aftermarket perma cool fan and the perma cool switch that has the threaded sensor!! I bought a thermostat housing from autozone that had a threaded place for the sensor. I have the exact same problem with the fan running after the car is off (WHICH IS DONT MIND) but it runs for like 15 - 20 minutes. Luckily I have a yellow top optima and the fan only draws like 10 amps and I havent had one problem yet BUT I want to find a way to keep the fan from running so long. I thought about it and where the sensor is (in my setup)SUCKS BIG TIME if there is not going to be coolant anywhere in the system it is going to be right where the sensor is. I am going to fab up something so I can put it in the lower radiator hose. That should give an accurate reading of the coolant temp in the radiator and should always have coolant there also!! I think that as long as you have the sensor somwhere where it takes a reading on the coolant temperature IN THE RADIATOR that the time the fan is on after the car is off should be minimal!! Also having the fan on after the car is off should be a good thing cause for the first minute or two the car is off the temp usually rises in the engine as the coolant is not flowing through the engine so that could help counteract that process!! Otherwise if you dont want it to run at all after the car is off just wire it into a switched fuse as stated above!!
post #5 of 17 Old 09-16-2002, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I have the stock fan, I wonder how many amps it pulls? Whent to radio shack and they did not have any type of solonoid switches. Anyone know where I could find one? I am also putting my sensor in thermostat housing, I am afraid the stock fan will pull to much befor the car cools down, killing battery. Any more suggestions?

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

post #6 of 17 Old 09-16-2002, 05:15 PM

Radio Shack Part# 275-226 is a 30AMP solonoid switch which is perfect for your application......
post #7 of 17 Old 09-16-2002, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again -blown5.5 I had already called 3 different radio shacks, and no one had heard of it , didnt even know what I was talking about.

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

post #8 of 17 Old 09-16-2002, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Got it all hoked up! The relay from radio shack works great. I tied the "on"hook up to the radio interferance capiciter wire. It was close and only trips the relay on when the ignition is running. Going to wire up a manual override switch as well, for some ignition off cooling. Thanks every one for the help.

-jplayer, the best I can tell, the perma cool turns the fan off after it cools down 20 deg. Is that what you have found to be?

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

post #9 of 17 Old 09-17-2002, 11:20 AM

I ran mine off a switch in the ashtray so I could cool down between rounds..........
post #10 of 17 Old 09-17-2002, 11:38 AM

I think you could be right but Im not 100% sure on that!! and I had a disaster last night with my new fan!! We were checking my timing and I acidentally dropped the wrench that I loosened the distributor bolt with down on the fan. It immediately bent one of the blades and then the blade dug into the radiator busting my fluidyne. Luckily it only cut into the core like a 1/4' so im gettiing a shop to epoxy it up for me!!! I bent and banged the blades on my fan back out as straight as possible and hopefully I can still use that!!!

post #11 of 17 Old 09-17-2002, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Thats a freak accident all right. Thats to bad, hope they can get the patch to hold.

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

post #12 of 17 Old 09-17-2002, 09:46 PM

Yeah hopefully they will be able to get it to hold!! I should know tommorrow!! I bolted up the stock radiator today and tried the restraightened fan and it works like new just doesnt look like new when its stopped rotating!! The radiator shop didnt seem to think that they would have a problem fixing the boo boo so I am not worried about it!!
post #13 of 17 Old 09-17-2002, 09:56 PM

What timing are you guys running????

Ok!! Went to set my timing today and lo and behold it was at 16 ( I have had absolutely no detonation) so I bumped it to 17 Still no detonation. Well I laid off of advancing it for now cause I wanted to get your guys opinions?? I honestly dont think my balancer has spun but then again who knows??? Its a new one that has been on the car for about 20,000 miles max and still looks brand spanking new(no wobble or rubber sticking out)

What timing are you guys getting. Also I have a cobra so that will be the car I am looking more towards but GT's post also just in case a gt owner has the same question.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-18-2002, 10:16 AM

I usually run mine around 16 .......
post #15 of 17 Old 09-18-2002, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I have no idea what my timing is set at. Dont have a light nor do I know how to use one. Guess I should get one and learn.

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

post #16 of 17 Old 10-21-2002, 07:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Jplayer- Where did you end up mounting the coolant sensor?

Gary

Yellow 95 GT vert, Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla, Y303 Heads, Water Injection.

I travel all rainy roads, and hydroplane thru life.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-21-2002, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow95
Jplayer- Where did you end up mounting the coolant sensor?

Gary
Dont know about jplayer, but I mounted my sensor in the water neck. I got the chrome water neck made by ford racing that has threaded port. I tried to drill and tap the stock one, but that ended up leaking.

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement