where does the factory tach hook up ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-07-2002, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
where does the factory tach hook up ?

My car decided to stop running the other day, it simply shut off while driving around 50 mph. I could not restart it at all, I did notice when I was in gear and coasting to a stop that the tach did not function when it should have been around 2500rpm. I ran the codes and got all of these. 95 Fuel pump secondary fault, 96 fuel pump secondary circuit fault/high speed fuel pump relay open, 19 is Failure in EEC (PCM) internal voltage (KOEO) or 19 Cylinder identification sensor failure (Continuous memory), and finally code 18 loss of tachometer input/IDM circuit failure/Spout circuit grounded.

I think basically I am scre^^ed, it COULD be the processor, the sensors for the tach or cyl id, or the fuel pump. I have a new fuel pump and will try it tomorrow, if not any suggestions and finally as stated in the topic title where and how does the factory tach hook up (I couldn't find it in the Haynes manual, probably just blind with frustration ).

Thanks,

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-07-2002, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

ttt

post #3 of 4 Old 09-07-2002, 02:30 PM

Well, the tach wont function when the car is off, even if you are moving. So if you were going 50mph, and it was reading the correct RPMs, and then the car shut off, and it stopped reading, then thats ok, its what its supposed to do. Its an electronic signal. Did you check your cap and rotor? Check that to see if thats why it shut off. If those are ok, its probably the fuel pump, considering the codes you are getting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-13-2002, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the fuel pump and checked all of the grounds, eec, battery, and motor and they all looked fine. I ended up taking it to a local ford dealer to have a diagnostic check and they found the stator was bad. I pulled out the distributor to replace it and found massive wear on the shaft of the dist and the dist housing which allowed the shaft to have approx. 1/32 to 1/16 an inch of play. The play also allowed the stator to be smacked around by the plate that it reads. So instead of buying a factory replacement at $232 I bought the MSD unit, much better piece and only $55 bucks more.

Put in the MSD dist and it started right up, also, FYI the stator not only provides the signal of RPM's to the processor but also to the tach.

Thanks,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement