installing battery kill switch - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Question installing battery kill switch

hi all,
I have my moroso battery kill switch ready to install, however it came with no instructions. I need advice on how to properly install this switch. first of all I have a cable running from the battery in the trunk, up to the front of the car to the power distribution box terminal. Then there is another power wire coming from the starter to the power distribution box w/ nothing splicing off in between.
So how will I go about installing this? Also is all the switch needs is a good ground?

thanks

Dan

95 rio red cobra #2021

2014 Shelby GT00- Oxford White/Sonic Blue Stripes
1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021 - SOLD
8.8:1 comp. Dart 331, Procharger D1 16psi, AFR 185, Edelbrock RPM II, custom cam, TKO, Glenns 1000hp fuel system.
690rwhp on Mustang dyno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

someones got to know how to install these switches?

TTT

post #3 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 12:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
O.K let me see if I remember how I did it. Oh yeah I just ran the cable from the battery to one terminal on the battery switch. The other terminal was connected to the battery cable going to the front of the vehicle. The battery switch simply interrupted the power circuit. I hope that helps you a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 01:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
You connect the POSITIVE side BATTERY Cable to one side of the Disconnect Switch.You then run the other side of the Disconnect Switch to the Starter Solenoid,plus (this same side of the Disconnect Switch),you "MUST" run another cable to the Power Distribution Box! You then "MUST" run the GROUND CABLE from the NEGATIVE side BATTERY CABLE all the way back to the OEM GROUND CABLE connection at the front of the ENGINE!(in other words...where your present ground cable is now connected and LEAVE the original cable CONNECTED ALSO!!) BEWARE!!...If you attempt to connect the GROUND CABLE only to the rear of the car,you are setting yourself up for all types of electrical gremlins! Now you are also using 1 or 2 GAUGE CABLE FOR ALL THE ABOVE,plus good connectors and shrink wrap! lAs I also stated before, invest $5.00 and purchase the OCT/2002 issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords Magazine and "READ & HEED" the article,"Trunk-Mount That Battery!!!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys,

QTRHORSE, I am not exactly sure why I would need to install a cable at the starter side and the power distribution side? Wouldn't it kill the power to the starter at the power distribution box if I ran the cable to it, and then one cable to the battery itself?

So, basically both terminals on this switch are + terminals, with no need for - terminals right? The battery is already in the trunk right now, and I have the grounding set up kinda strange..lol but so far so good

Dan

2014 Shelby GT00- Oxford White/Sonic Blue Stripes
1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021 - SOLD
8.8:1 comp. Dart 331, Procharger D1 16psi, AFR 185, Edelbrock RPM II, custom cam, TKO, Glenns 1000hp fuel system.
690rwhp on Mustang dyno
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 04:33 PM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
I really need to do this...I just relocated the bettery last weekend, and yes I know I'm illegal with no kill switch

Paluka how much is the switch?

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
post #7 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 04:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If you look closely at your present OEM Positive Cable,you will see that it does indeed run directly to the starter solenoid(and there is another cable tied in at the Positive Post that runs to the Power Distribution Box).The reason you want to run a separate cable to "BOTH" locations is because your Starter is indeed the biggest draw on your Battery,thus you want that uninterrupted flow! And obviously,your Power Distribution Box is your higher amp fuses and relays!But again, I cannot tell you enough as to how important that proper ground is! And "YES",both sides of the Disconnect Switch are Positve!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by eades5.0
I really need to do this...I just relocated the bettery last weekend, and yes I know I'm illegal with no kill switch

Paluka how much is the switch?

I paid around $45 from summit for it, to the door.

Dan
post #9 of 9 Old 09-03-2002, 02:37 PM
pcn

Trader Feedback: (6)
Mine and most I have seen are as you described:
(+) Battery pos to starter
(+) Starter to Power dist box
(-) Modify old battery ground to bolt to frame
(-) Ground battery in trunk
I read that article, and the voltage spikes from the switch seem possible. But if it is that much of a problem why hasn't it gotten more attention before? Computer cars have been around for quite a few years now. To me all those relays and extra wiring seem like overkill and more opportunities for shorts, etc. Maybe there is an EE out there who will fill us in on the "real story".

'94 GT w/306
ATI D1-R, Powerglide, 4.30's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement