Possible CCRM Recall? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-27-2002, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Possible CCRM Recall?

I heard there was a recall on the relays in the CCRM, that controls the high and low speed settings of the fan. Does anyone have info about it?

Thanks-jon

1994 cobra # 1067
white ex./black leather int.
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
-18" konig wheels with nitto 555zr
- 3:73 Ford racing gears
-Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft
-Auburn HD limited slip diff.
- 75 mm bullet MAF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-27-2002, 07:37 PM

Here is the notice about it.

Ford Fan Recall

post #3 of 19 Old 08-27-2002, 07:44 PM

I had mine replaced as-per the recall

And it was a nightmare. I take the car in for the recall, and I pick up my car later that day. The car overheats on the trip home. I figure out that with the recall they add a circuit breaker of some sort in-line between the CCRM and the fan. Whatever they did it rendered my high speed fan inoperative.

The low speed would come on as the car started to warm up and the dealer figured it was good to go... well as soon as the car tries to turn on the high speed fan the fan turned off!

I took the car back the next day, got a call back that they were unable to duplicate the problem. I told 'em to take it around the block once and they'll see. They called back said they saw the problem and they are replacing the fan, the thermostat and the cap all under warranty. As they pull my car up to the service drive, I notice that they washed it too. This can't be a good sign.

I pop the hood and the radiator cover is etched white and dried up antifreeze / water is EVERYWHERE under the hood / front bumpercover. Great, they overboiled it HARD and wern't gonna say anything. I show the service advisor and asked him when I can expect my replacement plastics for under the hood and as an alternative the dealer offered to have me bring it back the next day to have 'em clean it up. I told the advisor I wasn't letting them alone with my car again. Luckily it doesn't seem to have caused any engine damage but stupid crap like that really pisses you off.

I got it to clean up ok, but the under-hood stickers on the radiator cover are toast. I'll replace it later I guess.

Shawn

'06 Mercury Montego - FWD, 6-Speed ATX, Premier package
'02 Volkswagon Jetta GLS TDI - mods & MPG!
'95 Mustang GT Convertible 5Sp - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-27-2002, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thats some stupid dealer. I would be calling the better business bureau about them. The best I can tell the recall is only on the fan bearing. Supposely, this one is on the relays in the ccrm. Any one else have any info?

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-28-2002, 08:08 AM

The bearings in the fan can freeze up, creating a chance for a fire since the fan motor is unfused. They install a breaker into the lines to prevent the fan motor from catching on fire.

This is ENTIRELY the wrong approach, especially if you live in the southern states where it can get very warm during the summer. Your car will not catch on fire, but that breaker can trip leaving you without a fan and you have no why of knowing until the engine temperature starts rising.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-28-2002, 01:01 PM

Also need help

I had the recall done about a year ago, and everything had worked fine until just a couple of weeks ago. Both speeds on my fan stopped working, and I think the CCRM is whats to blame, but then again, it could be the circuit breaker on the motor. I know the fan and motor is good because I ran it in parallel with the battery, and both speeds would turn on. Anyone know where I can get a new CCRM, or if Ford would still try to fix as part of the recall.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-28-2002, 01:05 PM

Exclamation Re: Also need help

Quote:
Originally posted by 95GTfiveOh
I had the recall done about a year ago, and everything had worked fine until just a couple of weeks ago. Both speeds on my fan stopped working, and I think the CCRM is whats to blame, but then again, it could be the circuit breaker on the motor. I know the fan and motor is good because I ran it in parallel with the battery, and both speeds would turn on. Anyone know where I can get a new CCRM, or if Ford would still try to fix as part of the recall.
I'd try Ford again - for me they ended up replacing the fan and junking that in-line circuit breaker B.S. to get my fan working correctly.

Shawn

post #8 of 19 Old 08-28-2002, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

But, I heard there was a recall on the ccrm. Has anyone else heard this?

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

post #9 of 19 Old 08-28-2002, 01:35 PM

It's the same recall

Quote:
Originally posted by 94svt5.0
But, I heard there was a recall on the ccrm. Has anyone else heard this?
They'll replace whatever it takes to make it right. Fan, CCRM, etc.

Shawn

post #10 of 19 Old 08-28-2002, 03:12 PM

By chance, does anyone know where I could get a replacement CCRM, other than at the dealership, and how much it would cost.

post #11 of 19 Old 08-28-2002, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Is the recall only on 1995 mustangs? I think the only place you can get a new ccrm is at a dealer. Something like 100-150$

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

post #12 of 19 Old 08-29-2002, 04:55 PM

I bought the CCRM yesterday for $126. I should of done it sooner, but I ran some tests just to make sure to see if it was the CCRM, and it turns out that it is something else. I decided to take it to the dealership instead and use the fan recall as the problem. I"ll soon know exactly what is going on with my fan. The only problem is that I can't return the CCRM that I bought because it is an electrical item and they don't do refunds on them.

If anybody needs a new CCRM, let me know and I'll sell it to you.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-30-2002, 12:34 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (5)
What's the CCRM. My A/C went out recently, could that be related. I haven't had the fan recall done yet, gotta kill the fan first.

1995 Ford Cobra w/IRS, white - Coyote swap with full MM front end in progress.
1994 Ford Lightning, red - HCI and Kooks in progress.
1993 Lexus LS400, grey - stock
2003 Infiniti M45, black - stock
post #14 of 19 Old 08-30-2002, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

The ccrm is the constant control relay module. Its the block box in front of overflow bottle. It controls the high and low speed fan relays. On your A/C check you pressure sensors and cycle switch.

1994 cobra # 1067
-Crane 2031 cam
-Bullit suspension
-BBK off road h-pipe
-basani cat-back
-superchips power chip
-mac cold air induction
-frpp king cobra clutch
- 75 mm bullet MAF

post #15 of 19 Old 08-31-2002, 06:19 PM

The wiring connector from the CCRM to my fan, at the fan, shorted, arched and burned out.

I cut the connector off and re-wired the burned parts and put individual female connector ends on the 3 wires.

Problem solved.

I returned my CCRM, (they were nice at that dealership), maybe I said it was not the right one for my year? Perhaps I got a different guy than the first time I tried?

I never found a place to buy a new connector, which is why I put on my own connectors.

That short they explain is what happened to me, but this is the first I have heard about a recall. damn.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-31-2002, 07:03 PM

Fan Recall Fires....

I have had 2 separate fires (one before the recall) and one afterwards. Here's the deal...

1. Fan unit is POS, the bearings lock up, the fan motor overheats, melts the connectors, starts burning.

Fords answer? Install a circuit breaker! Not install a better grade fan motor.

The first fire occured at 50K and I extinguished in before anyother damage occured (not easy since the radiator is so close.. it will melt quickly!)

As there was no recall yet I raised hell with the dealership and Ford... there was a recall out for the Cougars and Taurus's already for this problem. Very quickly this changed to include the pony. Ford is reimbursing me for the replacement motor (NAPA, 87 bucks). Ford only sells the fan/motor/shroud unit ($250).

Second fire occured a month ago, 100K! LOL This time I replaced the whole fan/shroud/motor ensemble from Stangparts.com ($199). I tried replacing the motor alone but the fan was developing a rub.

Ford says they won't reimburse me because the car was at 104K and the recall only covers up to 100K. The recall was issued when I had 97 and myy ealer didn't get the parts in before 100K. I have contacted NHTSA and Ford about this and we are "in negotiations". LOL

The problem isn't in the relay, its the fan motor bearing. Good luck all!

Tom

My fourth pony:
1999 GT Vert, Vortech V-2, IPSCHASSIS SLA, Griggs GR40 Rear, Bassani/Dynomax, Fikse wheels, roll bar, too much to list...
post #17 of 19 Old 08-31-2002, 07:35 PM

Not to brag or anything, but in the realm of joy I own having wired my 3 fan connectors myself, I (yes) nearly cut my finger off having dragged it through the fan blades with the fan wired in reverse.

Now I can blame Ford for the nastly slice, severed ligament and large bulge of scar tissue in the middle finger of my left hand.

Too bad a lawyer can't get a settlement for my own stupidity.

Just goes to show. If you can do better, then, by golly, do better.

I will now begin a campaign to replace that cursed fan.

Thanks for the help, Tom.

Don't ask me my I stuck my finger in there. I don't know.
And, FYI, the fan got the worst of it; each blade has a nice finger sized chip in it.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-31-2002, 07:46 PM

You are most welcome....

my most clever and ingenious man! LOL Have fun and don't get near the crankshaft pulley! LOL

Tom

My fourth pony:
1999 GT Vert, Vortech V-2, IPSCHASSIS SLA, Griggs GR40 Rear, Bassani/Dynomax, Fikse wheels, roll bar, too much to list...
post #19 of 19 Old 08-31-2002, 07:49 PM

AC Problem....

AC switch on pass side against the firewall, mounted vertically. Frequently the wires get pinched. Also, if you have used any cleaning chenical under the hood you (without covering the switch) you run the risk of problems with the sensors/switches. (EGR valve and sensors are awful for that!)

Tom

My fourth pony:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement