high speed fan - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2002, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
high speed fan

Alright, my car seems to run hot. And while i am planning on getting a new radiator i just had a question about the high speed fan. I'm not sure if mine works, because the previous owner installed a manual fan switch. So i'm wondering if when i turn on the fan if it's only turning on the low speed fan??? Just something i'd like to check but i don't know how!

2000 Performance Red GT
Vortech V-2 SQ supercharger, FRPP y2k rims with kumho rubber, eibach springs, tokico 5-way shocks, auto-meter gauges, borla cat-back exhaust, 13-inch baer drilled and slotted brakes up front, dual force clutch, custom interior.
358 rwhp (custom tune to come)
best time: 13.1 @ 108 mph with a 2.35 60 ft...
SOLD: Had to sell to put downpayment on Condo in the chicago suburbs...Now speeding around in a 4-door Stratus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2002, 01:12 AM

There are three wires coming out from the fan motor harness. One is a ground, one for low speed, the other for high speed. Check the voltage between the two, the one with the higher voltage is the high speed.

1995 GT coupe/ (converting from 306ci to 347ci) 70tb,75 MAF........ you know the rest of the story.
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (4 doors, 3 diamonds, 2 litres, 1 turbo = 380 awhp)
1989 GT (Building another stroker)
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2002, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

dangit!!!! I always wondered about that. I noticed wires coming off and a three way hookup thing. the two outer post type things were connected to other wires leaving the fa. but the middle, third post, had no wire coming off!!! I'll check it out, but i have no idea how to fix it if this is the case?

2000 Performance Red GT
Vortech V-2 SQ supercharger, FRPP y2k rims with kumho rubber, eibach springs, tokico 5-way shocks, auto-meter gauges, borla cat-back exhaust, 13-inch baer drilled and slotted brakes up front, dual force clutch, custom interior.
SOLD: Had to sell to put downpayment on Condo in the chicago suburbs...Now speeding around in a 4-door Stratus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2002, 01:46 AM

just make sure that the manual fan switch is hooked up to the wire with the higher voltage

1995 GT coupe/ (converting from 306ci to 347ci) 70tb,75 MAF........ you know the rest of the story.
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (4 doors, 3 diamonds, 2 litres, 1 turbo = 380 awhp)
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2002, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

checked it out and sure enough that retard didn't hook it up to the high speed fan!!! Its fixed now and it still runs a "little" hot but not near as bad!

2000 Performance Red GT
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2002, 11:45 PM

Take your radiator to a radiator shop and have them check and flush it, if it needs it, for you, cost is around 20 bones. This would help bring it down if there is crap restricting flow. Also Evans makes some stuff called (Water Wetter), Royal Purple has something similar, these additives to the radiator are supposed to drop the temp by 20%

Sponsored Links
Advertisement