Engine fan - high speed all the time? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2002, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Engine fan - high speed all the time?

Is there a way that I can wire up the fan so that as soon as I start the car, the fan is on high speed, and just stay on high speed the whole time?

Anyone ever done that? If so, how?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 - TNT 300 shot, VEC2, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2002, 09:59 PM
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (34)
Should be fairly easy- Just test all the wires going to the fan motor itself. There shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 wires, I don't remember and can't go look at mine. If it's 2 wires one's a hot wire all you have to do is run a wire from your power distribution box to the positive wire (I have tapped into the connector that is supposed to supply power to the convertible top). If it's 3 wires one should run 12 volts one will run less. You would want to "hot-wire" the 12 volt wire.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-17-2002, 10:59 AM

Anoconda,

If you do this I can tell you from personal experience that you will be buying a ccrm soon. I left my switch on for about two weeks solid, and then the high speed fan stopped working. I had just installed a brand new fan so I was pretty sure that was not it. I took apart the ccrm and sure enough the high fan relay was mushroomed and the back of the circuit borad was black from the heat. The relay just gets too hot if on all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2002, 11:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (22)
How about the low speed fan on all the time? Does anyone know which color the ground wire for the low speed is so I can first of all test it?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-17-2002, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by streetsnake94
Anoconda,

If you do this I can tell you from personal experience that you will be buying a ccrm soon. I left my switch on for about two weeks solid, and then the high speed fan stopped working. I had just installed a brand new fan so I was pretty sure that was not it. I took apart the ccrm and sure enough the high fan relay was mushroomed and the back of the circuit borad was black from the heat. The relay just gets too hot if on all the time.
Ok, how about someway to get the high speed fan to come on whenever the fan should run. In other words...no low speed fan, only high speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 - TNT 300 shot, VEC2, etc.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-19-2002, 08:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
I went with a fan controller relay kit. It comes with whatever sensor you decide that turns the high-speed fan on at a certain temp (I went with 195). It took about about 2 hrs to install (I work really slow, though) and since then it has ran considerably cooler.
Also, you have 2 options of wiring it up. First, you can wire it up so that the fan will turn off when the car is off. Or, you can do like I did and wire it up so that the fan can come on (if needed) for up to 10 minutes after the car is turned off.

94 GT Vert
DART Block 347 ~ Vortech S-trim ~ AFR 185's ~ Aeromotive Fuel System ~ 55lb. injectors ~ AFM PMS ~ SMC Alky inject.
657 rwhp; 628.5 tq
My Pics...

Tow Vehicle: 04 V8 Touareg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement