Hiding wires on an sn95? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hiding wires on an sn95?

with the motor out, i'd like to try to clean up the engine bay a bit by hiding the wiring harness. i know a lot of fox guys do it, but have any of you sn95 guys done it? what kind of things have you moved and how did it turn out? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 02:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Its pretty tough on our cars. I did manage to hide quite a bit on the passenger side, but theres not allot to do on the drivers side.
I am going to take some pics of my car tonite, so I will be sure to take a couple of what I did with the wires that I hid (the ones I messed with are the wires that make up the massive harness that includes the HUGE connector that goes into the computer thingy right beside the fan. understand that?)
I routed all these INSIDE the passenger side wheel well and had them come up beside the radiator.
Belive it or not, the only connector that I had I to lengthen was the one that plugs into the air conditioning line/port beside the radiator. It ended up looking pretty clean.

Your other alternative is to do what Dave (LAST302) did. He fabricated a couple panels that cover all the wires up. I think it looks better than hiding the wires and being left with fenderwells that are full of holes jagged metal.
Hopefully Dave will see this thread and post some pics of his 'panels'.

Good luck, and I will get some pictures posted tonite.

-keith

94 GT Vert
DART Block 347 ~ Vortech S-trim ~ AFR 185's ~ Aeromotive Fuel System ~ 55lb. injectors ~ AFM PMS ~ SMC Alky inject.
657 rwhp; 628.5 tq
My Pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tow Vehicle: 04 V8 Touareg

post #3 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks bishop.

i planned on cleaning up the area around the "computer thingy module" (read:CCRM) i ditched the smog on my car as well, so it should be a little better over there. one of the ugliest things is the EGR on the intake. it'll be capped off till i can get a chip burnt that turns off teh smog stuff. then i plan on removing it and plugging the hole. another eye sore is the harness on the firewall. there's so much junk back there it's not even funny. i guess i'll have to get in there and see what can be done. from what i read, the fox guys drill a hole in the firewall, pull the injector harness back through the grommet, behind the dash and through the hole behind the motor. i don't know if i want to do all that though. thanks for the reply. if anyone else has any ideas, speak up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

oh yeah, and i was gonna move the battery to the back and get rid of that UGLY tray. also thinking about passing the hood latch cable through the fender. that's about all i can think of for the driver's side.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 03:39 PM

Some of the wiring that clutters up the 86-93 engine bay is already hidden in 94/95 cars. It's not much but it saves you a little trouble.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

i've noticed that. my pass side is much cleaner than my friend's fox. also, we don't have the harnesses going over the strut towers.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 07:51 PM

In addition to what has been mentioned, I ran a new alternator wire around and under the car to clean up the look.

• 03 Cobra w/ 19" HRE Wheels- SOLD!
  • Current project- 60 Ford Starliner
post #8 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 08:52 PM
Formerly eades5.0

Trader Feedback: (24)
Good question I have been wondering this for a while just never asked?

WWW.JENNABEARSFOUNDATION.ORG
post #9 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by fakesnake.com
In addition to what has been mentioned, I ran a new alternator wire around and under the car to clean up the look.
around and under? can you clarify on how/what way you ran it exactly? i hate the way that damn wire looks. thanks.

oh, and could you post a few pics of the engine of your old car? maybe it could help. thanks.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-07-2002, 11:30 PM

I bought a 4 gauge wire and connector, ran it down the passenger side of alternator, then into passenger side fender well, ran it underneath and over to radiator so that it runs underneath radiator. There is a channel or something near to hide it in, then over to driver side fender well, and up and through fire wall to fuse block. The run through fire wall was easier on mine because I relocated fuse block.

You could also move fuse block to inside of fender well to really clean up wires. It's not that often that you have to get to fuse block anyways. Here's a pic of engine compartment.

post #11 of 17 Old 08-08-2002, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

damn man, that is insane! thanks!
post #12 of 17 Old 08-08-2002, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I bought a 4 gauge wire and connector, ran it down the passenger side of alternator, then into passenger side fender well, ran it underneath and over to radiator so that it runs underneath radiator. There is a channel or something near to hide it in, then over to driver side fender well, and up and through fire wall to fuse block. The run through fire wall was easier on mine because I relocated fuse block.

You could also move fuse block to inside of fender well to really clean up wires. It's not that often that you have to get to fuse block anyways. Here's a pic of engine compartment.

when you say firewall, do you mean fenderwell? cause you start out saying you route it towards the radiator, then say you go through the firewall. just clarifying! thanks.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-08-2002, 10:24 AM

Sorry, I meant fenderwell.

post #14 of 17 Old 08-08-2002, 10:40 AM

Well, I really hate posting pics AFTER fakesnake...(), but here goes anyway:

This shows how I ran all the wires underneath the so you can't see them. Like I said, the only one that wouldn't reach was the one that connects to the AC line.

94 GT Vert
DART Block 347 ~ Vortech S-trim ~ AFR 185's ~ Aeromotive Fuel System ~ 55lb. injectors ~ AFM PMS ~ SMC Alky inject.
657 rwhp; 628.5 tq
My Pics...

post #15 of 17 Old 08-08-2002, 11:23 AM

Bishop, at least you still have your car. I noticed the wires in your pic on the bottom of the fender well. I ran those underneath the fenderwell. I also relocated the large black box relay that mounts behind overflow bottle to the very bottom of radiator under fenderwell to hide those wires.

post #16 of 17 Old 08-08-2002, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Bishop, at least you still have your car. I noticed the wires in your pic on the bottom of the fender well. I ran those underneath the fenderwell. I also relocated the large black box relay that mounts behind overflow bottle to the very bottom of radiator under fenderwell to hide those wires.
You may not have your car anymore, but I can't think of a nicer replacement than what you have

As far as my engine bay; I guess I should have mentioned- I am def not done in that department. I was scrambling to get the car back together in time to make CD02 (which I still didn;t make ) and consequently didn't have the time to dedicate to it like i wanted to.

Thanks for the ideas, and I am glad venom95svt started this thread as I have picked up a couple good ideas.

94 GT Vert
657 rwhp; 628.5 tq
My Pics...

post #17 of 17 Old 08-09-2002, 12:03 AM

Fakesnake that engine looks awesome, I don't even want to look under my hood anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement